SASS Wire Forum

Ammo $ Up

Pat Riot

I went to pick up a couple of hundred rounds of .308 to shoot in my Garand - the one my daughter gave back to me for Father’s Day. HOLY COW! $1.00 per round for Norma 150 grain FMJ! 

Pickin’s were slim on brands. 

My Garand shot 30-06

9 hours ago, Noz said:

My Garand shot 30-06

Mine did as well. When I had the stock changed I had the receiver bedded. I had the barrel changed to a .308 chamber. I had some trigger work done. I had pressure points on the barrel removed (really not sure / can’t remember what all the ‘smith did here). And I had a Nat’l Match front sight installed. 

054AADFA-3658-4F9B-91EE-90EBC938BFEC.thumb.jpeg.3283c85e28204317b1b6fe070cc5f319.jpeg

One of my greatest regrets is not buying a Springfield Armory Garand in 308 about 12 years ago.  They did a limited run of them, and I got to test and evaluate one, but instead of buying it after the test, I returned it.  

I did some checking last week of the various online dealers I use and you can't find bulk 9mm, bulk .223/5.56 or primers.  All that was available in those 2 calibers was the expensive premium ammo.

For those of you shooting the Garand in 30-06 and live in states that allowing online sellers to ship ammo to you, check out the Prvi Partisan 150gr ammo being sold by Target Sports.  A 500 round can is .68 cents a round shipped.

I wouldn’t know anything about ammo prices I haven’t bought any factory ammunition with the exception of.22’s In thirty years. I factor the cost of dies into any purchase of a new gun 

2 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

I wouldn’t know anything about ammo prices I haven’t bought any factory ammunition with the exception of.22’s In thirty years. I factor the cost of dies into any purchase of a new gun 

Yeah, I reload  too.

With a standard .30-06 Garand, to avoid damaging the operating rod you have to take care with selecting commercial ammunition (or install a ported gas plug) to stay within a prescribed pressure range.

Does the same apply with the .308 versions?   :huh: 

4 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

With a standard .30-06 Garand, to avoid damaging the operating rod you have to take care with selecting commercial ammunition (or install a ported gas plug) to stay within a prescribed pressure range.

Does the same apply with the .308 versions?   :huh: 

That is a good question. I recall the guy telling me that as long as I shoot standard .308 & 7.62 x 51 loads it will work fine but I cannot remember if the gas plug had been changed. I need to do some research. 

Thank you for mentioning this. :)

The SAAMI max pressure for 308 Winchester is 62,000 PSI & for 30-06 it is 60,000 PSI.  Pat the 308 barrel the smith installed may have had a smaller dia. gas port than the 30-06 barrel.  For 30-06 Garands I can't imagine any commercial cartridges bending op rods.  I haven't noticed any boxes of 30-06 marked with Not for Use in M1 Garand like you will find on boxes of 45-70 smokeless  that indicate for use in Ruger no. 1 or modern bolt action rifles & those that indicate for Smokeless era lever action rifles.

P.S.  For your AR's I recommend an adjustable gas block or adjustable gas key.  I changed the gas key on my 1999 vintage A1 HBAR Colt Sporter.  It eliminated dented brass which I hate; because, I reload.  Slowing the bolt carrier velocity by using 3 tungsten buffer weights may also eliminate dented cases.  Also, Uniquetek  sells a deflector brake kit that contains stick-on elastomeric cover to cushion the impact of brass hitting the deflector.  One $16 kit has enough to equip 4 uppers.

8 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

Pat the 308 barrel the smith installed may have had a smaller dia. gas port than the 30-06 barrel.

I do believe you are correct. I do recall the smith mentioning that now that you mention it. Thank you. 
I recall him saying that as long as I stick with SAAMI and NATO ammo and stay with 147 and 150 grain bullets.  

Thank you for mentioning that. It sparked a memory. :)

9 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

For 30-06 Garands I can't imagine any commercial cartridges bending op rods.  I haven't noticed any boxes of 30-06 marked with Not for Use in M1 Garand like you will find on boxes of 45-70 smokeless  that indicate for use in Ruger no. 1 or modern bolt action rifles & those that indicate for Smokeless era lever action rifles.

The M-1 Garand was designed for a narrow range of bullet weights and medium burning powders, so not all commercial ammo is correct for a Garand and it is possible some bullet weights and loads can damage the gun.

Link: https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/ammunition/m1-garand-ammo

https://thecmp.org/commercial-ammo/

18 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

I haven't noticed any boxes of 30-06 marked with Not for Use in M1 Garand

With a Garand it's opposite.  If the ammo is safe it will be marked that it's safe for a garand.  If you don't see that written on the box, then you shouldn't use it.  But it's more than pressure, there's also an issue with the hardness of the primer.  Get the wrong primer and I believe you can turn your garand into a full auto.  Until one of them fires while out of battery. 

Archived