SASS Wire Forum

Ram -- Pin & Ink from 40 yrs ago this month

Folks, when I was a young enlisted soldier, I used to do Pen & Ink drawings to supplement our income. 

This one is from 40 years ago this month.  It is a lithograph; not the original.

(I apologize from the glass glare.)

NWl4s2.jpg

Beautiful.

BGQ..... I like it a lot!  :)

Cat Brules

28 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Superb!

It must be satisfying to create such a beautiful image.

J-Bar, I appreciate it more today than I did 40 years ago.  Then, it was just for the filthy lucre.  My wife had the lithographs made and sold them.  I drew some other big game to send to the outdoor hunting magazines, but never did. :rolleyes:  Thought the magazines would use them for illustrations. 

Awesome work.

I used to do similar illustrations years ago and actually got a bachelor of fine arts degree for it. To my regret, I gave most of them away. Somewhere I have a few and will have to look for them. 

Spent my career in graphic design doing logos, corporate identity and advertising. Been decades since I’ve held a pencil, pen or brush. 

39 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Show us more, if you have them.

Thanks for asking, J-Bar.  Here are a few small size ones that I have left. These I drew with the intention of sending them to one of the hunting sports magazine.  I thought that maybe the magazines would commission me to illustrate for them.  But, folks kept offering to buy them and I never sent them - sort of "the bird in hand..."  I had about 10-15 drawings of big game that I originally intended to send.  I had several requests for the 'Bugling Elk'.  The ones I have are some my mother-in-law claimed.  These are originals.  When she passed, I got them back.

MUGm4z.jpg

Vt2oKT.jpg

XqPSx2.jpg

I also had a fellow that would put some of my drawings on copper.  He'd sell the "coppers" and we'd share the profit.  This "copper" sold well.  It's the only "copper" I have.  (Sorry for the glare.)

CDBlQP.jpg

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Awesome work.

I used to do similar illustrations years ago and actually got a bachelor of fine arts degree for it. To my regret, I gave most of them away. Somewhere I have a few and will have to look for them. 

Spent my career in graphic design doing logos, corporate identity and advertising. Been decades since I’ve held a pencil, pen or brush. 

Slim, we would love to see some of your work if you have them.

Thank you.

As others have said, I hope you continue to draw and share your work.  I hope you will let us know if you put any up for sale.

18 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

As others have said, I hope you continue to draw and share your work.  I hope you will let us know if you put any up for sale.

J-Bar, like Abilene Slim, I haven't done any drawings in years.  It's got to be at least 25 years.  I lost the joy of drawing when it became work.  All lithos have been sold but for a few steam locomotive drawings I did.

5 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Have you got any of your bird dog or bird dog themed?  Very impressive!

Doc, I never did do any bird dog drawing.  Don't know why?  Did some quail drawings, but I don't have any of them.

Archived