SASS Wire Forum

Kudos To Texas Historical Shootist Society

Returned last night from shooting the THSS annual match called "Trailhead" at the Brune Ranch near Columbus, Texas.  Originally the match was scheduled for March but was moved to June.  Great match.  Officers took into account the summer heat and shortened down movement, yet still had movement.  Stages were not P traps.  Pre-work done for the match was clear in that many boards were replaced, some counter tops lowered, stairs up to the gallows were widened and had less of a step up,  at the Fort which is high up there was a pvc tube to send brass down to the unload table instead of brass pickers going up and down stairs.   Targets were appropriate in size and at reasonable distances....gee, I could go on and on about how they prepared for this match.  Match itself ran very smoothly, finishing in a timely fashion after which shooters were given a short, but reasonable time to put their guns away and attend the awards which ran in a pretty efficient manner.  Gee, did I say "great match" yet?.....yep, I did and it was.  

Indeed, It was a great time. It was my 1st time at such an event. I hoped to be able to pick up some tips from some more experienced folks, but I didn't imagine that I would have so many great shooters in my posse, or that they would be so gracious and down to earth. 

3 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Did they play by ALL SASS rules or did they still incorporate their own club rules?

Phantom

Safety briefing said all sass rules applied. Only “extra rules” were for THSS categories like Cody Dixon, Sharpshooter, or their version of Wild Bunch, which is slightly different from SASS WB in that they incorporate a 1900s era DA revolver as well as a 1911. 

was an excellent match.  They have been working hard on range improvements and it shows. 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Safety briefing said all sass rules applied. Only “extra rules” were for THSS categories like Cody Dixon, Sharpshooter, or their version of Wild Bunch, which is slightly different from SASS WB in that they incorporate a 1900s era DA revolver as well as a 1911. 

was an excellent match.  They have been working hard on range improvements and it shows. 

Good to hear that they eliminated the "Can't move with a revolver in hand" rule.

5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Good to hear that they eliminated the "Can't move with a revolver in hand" rule.

Can't dump unfired SG shells. :rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I don’t recall any prohibition against moving with revolver in hand. I do remember them having a rule about Ps. If a shooter aimed at wrong target and missed it, it was a M & a P. Glad that one is gone. 

THSS has listened to shooters and have made changes. They hope to host the State match next year. I hope they do!

14 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Can't dump unfired SG shells. :rolleyes:

I find this unfired SG Shell discussion to be quizzical.

One time, a shooter shucked an unfired SG shell. I tossed it to him and he told me to never do that as it could hit a rock and fire. I said, "okay."

What else does one say when confronted with logic like that.

At least this club's rule has some logical basis, despite not being likely or mainstream. By not mainstream, I mean I've never seen that being a rule anywhere.

26 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I find this unfired SG Shell discussion to be quizzical.

One time, a shooter shucked an unfired SG shell. I tossed it to him and he told me to never do that as it could hit a rock and fire. I said, "okay."

What else does one say when confronted with logic like that.

At least this club's rule has some logical basis, despite not being likely or mainstream. By not mainstream, I mean I've never seen that being a rule anywhere.

I do know a guy who shucked a live round and had it go BOOM when it hit the ground. Not being chambered it did no damage (other than to his shorts:blush:) so it can happen. That being said, he still shucks live shells, as do I. 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I don’t recall any prohibition against moving with revolver in hand. I do remember them having a rule about Ps. If a shooter aimed at wrong target and missed it, it was a M & a P. Glad that one is gone. 

THSS has listened to shooters and have made changes. They hope to host the State match next year. I hope they do!

Oh yeah, it was a rule...just ask Joe Darter about it as we had some interesting discussions about the history of THSS.

32 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Oh yeah, it was a rule...just ask Joe Darter about it as we had some interesting discussions about the history of THSS.

Must have been before my time. This was my 7th Trailhead, I’m pretty sure they never had a rule like that in my time. 

It's been three years since THSS eliminated any remaining club-specific safety rules. As Hoss said, the club follows all SASS guidelines and regulations. 

For those interested in current history and want to see Trailhead 2020 match results, you can find them at https://www.thss.org/2020/06/21/trailhead-2020-main-match-results/

44 minutes ago, Houston CAS said:

It's been three years since THSS eliminated any remaining club-specific safety rules. As Hoss said, the club follows all SASS guidelines and regulations. 

For those interested in current history and want to see Trailhead 2020 match results, you can find them at https://www.thss.org/2020/06/21/trailhead-2020-main-match-results/

The only reason I...and many others are bringing up non-current history...is because your club didn't disseminate information regarding your club's rule changes.

Don't go blaming folks for asking...we weren't the one's to build the reputation that y'all have/had.

Glad things are moving in a positive direction.

Phantom

My favorite part of Trailhead is their Sunday side matches (fastest gunfighter, couples shoot, etc).  But, I have to say that this years Trailhead was the best one yet, even without the side matches.

Kudos to the club for listening to the shooters and making changes to the rules and range!  Heck, they even skipped that crazy swinger this year.  

Had a great time and really enjoyed the changes.  Looking forward to next year.  I need a set of those custom spurs!!

Totes

Archived