SASS Wire Forum

King of Kaboom - by volume or by weight?

Palmetto Traveller

I'm thinking of giving this a try at Black Gold this year but the below is all I've found on the categories. My question is the powder requirements based on volume or weight? My guess is weight but frequently I see black powder measurements given by volume.

Thanks

Sultan of Smoke

Shooters from the SASS BP Match definition of the categories of FCD, Frontiersman, Duelist, Sr. Duelist, Classic Cowboy and Others are eligible. ie One Handed only. All pistols are shot in the SASS Duelist category manner. Double Duelist is allowed. Real black powder or sub is allowed. 

Pistols and Rifle:40 cal and up – 200 grain and up – 25 grains of powder and up 38-40 cal – 180 grain and up – 30 grains of powder and up Cap and Ball – 44 cal round ball and up – 30 grains of powder and up

Shotgun: 1 1/8 oz shot, 60 grains of powder. Double barrel and 87 only

King of Kaboom

Same rules as Sultan of Smoke, however, Two Handed or Gunfighter shooting styles is allowed.

8 hours ago, Palmetto Traveler said:

My guess is weight but frequently I see black powder measurements given by volume.

I'm assuming it's by volume.  All my black powder volume measure indicates by grains or drams.  

9 hours ago, Palmetto Traveler said:

I'm thinking of giving this a try at Black Gold this year but the below is all I've found on the categories. My question is the powder requirements based on volume or weight? My guess is weight but frequently I see black powder measurements given by volume.

Thanks

Sultan of Smoke

Shooters from the SASS BP Match definition of the categories of FCD, Frontiersman, Duelist, Sr. Duelist, Classic Cowboy and Others are eligible. ie One Handed only. All pistols are shot in the SASS Duelist category manner. Double Duelist is allowed. Real black powder or sub is allowed. 

Pistols and Rifle:40 cal and up – 200 grain and up – 25 grains of powder and up 38-40 cal – 180 grain and up – 30 grains of powder and up Cap and Ball – 44 cal round ball and up – 30 grains of powder and up

Shotgun: 1 1/8 oz shot, 60 grains of powder. Double barrel and 87 only

King of Kaboom

Same rules as Sultan of Smoke, however, Two Handed or Gunfighter shooting styles is allowed.

It's by volume.   In a .44 Magnum 25 grains of 2F 777 by WEIGHT with a 240 gr bullet probably breaks the 1000 fps limit for pistol.  I did not get a chance to chronograph the load, but felt recoil was similar to some of factory smokeless ammo I have.  According to the link a .44 Magnum & 240 gr bullet using 25gr by VOLUME pushes the bullet at about  868 fps  https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/muzzleloading_manual_2008.pdf.

And that's a light shotgun load  :P   Out of my Spanish 10 gauge I load 120 grs of 1F and 1 1/2" it definitely makes noise and smoke  :D

Just an aside there Traveler, the two categories you quoted from are from the Dark Day BP match in Florida.  Black Gold does not have those categories.  You certainly can bring your guns and ammo and shoot those requirements in the FC category at Black Gold, in fact I encourage you to! ;)

Kajun

1 hour ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Just an aside there Traveler, the two categories you quoted from are from the Dark Day BP match in Florida.  Black Gold does not have those categories.  You certainly can bring your guns and ammo and shoot those requirements in the FC category at Black Gold, in fact I encourage you to! ;)

Kajun

Howdy Kajun,

Just to be clear...King of Kaboom, Sultan of Smoke and Champeen of the Hillbilly Nation are not stand-alone categories.  They are more or less imbedded in normal SASS categories.  Here are the details from the T Rex Society web page.  (http://www.hootenoldtown.com/trex.htm)

Enter your normal category

Nominate someone to head up the T-Rex match
Mark your score sheet with KoK, SoS, or CHN
Let the T-Rex head honcho know your are competing

Shoot your match using the approved loads and rules.

At the end of the match, the T-Rex head honcho checks the scores or may have to help compute them.

Each sub-category is separate.
Total time wins

1 hour ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Fill the case, seat the bullet.  Pull the bullet and refill the case.  Reseat and crimp. :) 

What? No compression die?

Here is how I see it.  The two are interchangeable.  A given weight of propellent will equal a certain volume.  And vice versa.  Once I find a load that works well for me, I then make a custom scoop for that amount of Propellant.  It's actually Rocket Science.  Simple Rocket Science.

I seem to remember Pale Ale and Georgia Gypsy shooting that as a category at BG a couple of years ago. We're having our regular monthly on Sat July 4th and may try some full case loads for that one but, don't worry Kajun, I'll be ready for y'all at the SE regionals. Y'all just take it easy on me though. I need to talk with Barkeep and see what kind of handicap he'll give me.

52 minutes ago, Palmetto Traveler said:

You know Kajun the more I think about it Ruff Kut and Barkeep ought to give both of us old guys a handicap. Just to make things fair and all.:D

Here here, I'll second that! :lol:

Kajun

9 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Ah, the good ol’ days Of the Warthog Posse...  Great memories!

Take me back to Possum Trot.

2 ounces of 2f powder and 2 ounces of shot was easy. Exactly 8 loads per pound!  Somebody once said my 10 gauge loads were impressive.  I know they were fun to shoot Outlaw style.

Archived