SASS Wire Forum

CMP plate rack

I built one for our club a couple of years ago.I will see if I can figure out who I got the plans from & let U know.

Largo

Bob I believe I got the plans from Jackaroo.I might be able to foward the plans to you.

Largo

Shot something similar Saturday, fun stuff.  This time we alternated between a static plate and the tombstone rack so you didn't have to wait for the plate to fall.

At least two clubs I shoot at have similar designs.. One is a tombstone style and the other is round plates.  Lots of option on how they can be shot. They work equally well for rifle and pistol. Just change the distance.

Keep in mind that occasionally the last 1 or 2 plates will bounce back up after being knocked down.  Decide how you will deal this and make sure all shooters are aware. Also how will missed be handled.

Around here once at least 5 plated have been knocked down even if the same plate is knocked down twice they are all considered down. Other clubs require them all to be down and stay down which can be problematic when shooting larger calibers.

Most of the time misses on the plate rack don't count.  On the rare occasions that they do we usually can make up the plates left standing with the shotgun.

Be creative and have fun with it.

Hi Bob.   Talk to Shooter at Bismarck.    They have on up there.    Hope to see you soon.      GW

I have one similar.   How level the ground is greatly impacts the speed of the plates falling.  I tend to have the front a little higher than the back.  If it's the opposite it really slows a fast run down. 

The last time I shot Winter Range they had two of these (or exactly like these) side by side on a stage. 

Some people alternated between the plates on the rack in an attempt to speed up the set.

It appeared "to me" that alternating on the front plates "only" was the most worthwhile thing to do ... 

Of course ... I did exactly that ... and ran through the plates super fast ...

Unfortunately ... I lost count and ended putting the rifle down with the two tiny guys at the rear still standing ... looking at me ... 

I had to pick the rifle back up and finish them off.  :mellow:

2 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

I have one similar.   How level the ground is greatly impacts the speed of the plates falling.  I tend to have the front a little higher than the back.  If it's the opposite it really slows a fast run down. 

Like anything could slow you down.

I had seen a Tombstone rack at the West Virginia State Match and they seem to use it every year.

Once I had seen one, I designed and built one for our club.  You can shoot revolver, rifle or shotgun at this rack.  I made the legs removable and adjustable to allow for uneven ground.  Plus, I put a bolt adjustment under each plate to adjust the plates falling. 

13 hours ago, largo casey #19191 said:

Bob I believe I got the plans from Jackaroo.I might be able to foward the plans to you.

Largo

Could you send me those plans too, please?

12 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

At least two clubs I shoot at have similar designs.. One is a tombstone style and the other is round plates.  Lots of option on how they can be shot. They work equally well for rifle and pistol. Just change the distance.

Keep in mind that occasionally the last 1 or 2 plates will bounce back up after being knocked down.  Decide how you will deal this and make sure all shooters are aware. Also how will missed be handled.

Around here once at least 5 plated have been knocked down even if the same plate is knocked down twice they are all considered down. Other clubs require them all to be down and stay down which can be problematic when shooting larger calibers.

Most of the time misses on the plate rack don't count.  On the rare occasions that they do we usually can make up the plates left standing with the shotgun.

Be creative and have fun with it.

We have two plate racks, and two tombstone racks.  Have never had trouble with these targets going down then bouncing back.  But all 24 of our resetting shotgun targets fall onto a spring to dampen the fall.  Sometimes they bounce back up, but we count them as down.  If a target bounces back up after being knocked down, it should be considered down, the shooter shouldn't have to re-engage, that should be charged as a prop failure.

15 hours ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Anyone have experience with this plate rack, or something similar. I'm looking for something like this for our club.

https://custommetalprod.com/tombstone-rack-c02

Our club has 2 of them and the Cowboy rack.  They've been very reliable and have held up great.  I expect many more years of service from them.

1 hour ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

We have two plate racks, and two tombstone racks.  Have never had trouble with these targets going down then bouncing back.  But all 24 of our resetting shotgun targets fall onto a spring to dampen the fall.  Sometimes they bounce back up, but we count them as down.  If a target bounces back up after being knocked down, it should be considered down, the shooter shouldn't have to re-engage, that should be charged as a prop failure.

I agree but I remember reading or talking to someone that shot at a club where it had to stay down to count.

5 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I agree but I remember reading or talking to someone that shot at a club where it had to stay down to count.

Bad policy in my opinion.

Winter Range AND Founders Ranch (EOT) have  those very racks and use them most years.  They are usually very reliable.   Set them close, and they are a test of speed.  Far, and they will strain your front sight.  :lol:

I like 'em.  GJ

T Bone has a couple of the tombstone racks for Bar 3

The ones I have shot use a dump plate with.  Misses only count on the dump plate.  It’s fun for the gallery to count the misses in the dump plate.  Tombstones are a good mix to your clubs target mix.

1 hour ago, T.J. Bones SASS# 75616 said:

How do you count hits and misses if the first plate won't go down after being hit several times with light loads?

You learn to hit the top third of the plate or put more powder in your loads.

If my 36 cal C&B pistols will knock down the first plate every time at 10 yards then any cartridge gun can do it as well.

1 hour ago, T.J. Bones SASS# 75616 said:

How do you count hits and misses if the first plate won't go down after being hit several times with light loads?

I usually shoot .32 H&R 100 gr but I also carry a pair of Vaquero '45's in my cart .....:lol: for recalcitrant KD's.

7 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

I usually shoot .32 H&R 100 gr but I also carry a pair of Vaquero '45's in my cart .....:lol: for recalcitrant KD's.

That's a big word Yusta B. a mighty big word ;) :D

I found them got them printed out.I can put them in the mail. Or maybe FAX.Send me your adresses.

Largo

For practicing shooting a plate rack MGM has their plate rack in a bucket available. It comes with 6 8" hexagonal plates that hang on a 2x4. Two brackets are used to build a sawhorse using 2x4s and the hangers slide on the horizontal board. Works great but they aren't knockdowns as used in matches but are great practice for about $250.

On 6/18/2020 at 4:36 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

If you can sew, even just rough stitching, you can buy a new sweat band, carefully remove the old one and stitch in a new one. Overlap the seam at the back. It’s not quite that simple, but someone crafty can do it. 

Otherwise, look up a custom hat builder/shaper and let him do it. When I was in the business, I generally charged $25.00 to $35.00.

14 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

That's a big word Yusta B. a mighty big word ;) :D

I heard it on the radio .......

On 6/21/2020 at 7:51 PM, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Anyone have experience with this plate rack, or something similar. I'm looking for something like this for our club.

https://custommetalprod.com/tombstone-rack-c02

Our club has two of a similar design, but they're much heavier duty.  The one in the picture looks very light construction for a $1200 target.  Ours weigh about 80-90# without the stand or plates installed.  I fear too light of construction might have instability and tend to vibrate or shake too much when plates fall, causing others to fall spontaneously.  

Bob I was looking back & found where I sent you these plans 2 yrs ago.I will send them to you again.

Largo

11 hours ago, largo casey #19191 said:

Bob I was looking back & found where I sent you these plans 2 yrs ago.I will send them to you again.

Largo

Thanks, I must have lost them.

22 minutes ago, largo casey #19191 said:

I still had your address .They're in the mail.

Largo

THANKS

Archived