SASS Wire Forum

1873 carrier dissolving?

remengcol

Hi all, I just bought one of the new winchester miroku 1873 with the case colored receiver.  I love the rifle, but I panicked a little after I cleaned it with the usual hoppes #9 and then oiled. Is this ok? Any concerns that the bore solvent could erode or dissolve the brass carrier block, since it is designed to dissolve copper?  I have seen in here that other people clean their 1873s with hopes #9.  I'm not a real cowboy action shooter, mostly I bought it because it's pretty to look at.  

It would take years of leaving the Hoppe's 9 on the brass to do anything but tarnish it a little.  Yes, the ammonia in Hoppe's is not great for the brass, but being a solid chunk instead of a thin film of gilding metal like bores normally get, you'll be safe.    CLP might make a better cleaner for you, though.

Good luck, GJ

7 hours ago, remengcol said:

Hi all, I just bought one of the new winchester miroku 1873 with the case colored receiver.  I love the rifle, but I panicked a little after I cleaned it with the usual hoppes #9 and then oiled. Is this ok? Any concerns that the bore solvent could erode or dissolve the brass carrier block, since it is designed to dissolve copper?  I have seen in here that other people clean their 1873s with hopes #9.  I'm not a real cowboy action shooter, mostly I bought it because it's pretty to look at.  

You'll be fine.  Enjoy the Winchester.

Archived