SASS Wire Forum

Drone in my neighborhood

Trigger Mike

I'm at my barn near sunset and hear a motor sound and look up to see a drone higher than tree top level over my barn.  My barn is 3/10 mile from my mailbox. 

This drone flies over and past the barn , turns and pauses and heads back the way it came.  

I texted my neighbor whose 10 acres is between me and the dirt road and he said it was not his.  

I never found the source but did hear from my daughter that the tenant at the end of my driveway has seen it and thought it was us.  She told them no.  

I intend to see the laws regarding drones. 

30 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I intend to see the laws regarding drones. 

I don't think you'll like most of what you read.  :mellow:

Drones........

I don’t know exactly what the laws regarding these things are, especially for spy missions for local (or state or federal) Government agencies, including the police.  They may now be using these things to hunt private property for marijuana growers.  

My view is that private sector people of any stripe, and government entities of any stripe, have no right to run spy or scout missions over my property.  Anyway, with that inexpensive rig I will describe, I think you ought be able to take it out.  Down it with a old (full-size), inexpensive, caliber .22LR bolt-action rifle.  Put an inexpensive 4X scope on it and seclude yourself in brush, tall grass, trees, camouflage, etc.  Camouflage the weapon too.  Remain as still or immobile as possible.  Cameras on the drones are very good and the video can be streamed back to point of origin or elsewhere.  And, single-frame photos can be enlarged several times from the video.

You may never see the drone again.  It could have gotten what it came for already.  Drones have become a tool used by real estate developers, surveyors, local government tax assessors, other government departments, big-ticket thieves (farm equipment, and thieves looking for apparently unoccupied rural homes), guys looking for naked sunbathers, etc., etc.  

If you down the drone, remember to keep your face covered until you render the camera(s) inoperable.  Hide the drone, remove ID and cameras, break it up and toss it away some distance from where you live.  Don’t let potential drone owners onto your property.  

Oh yes, some of these things may have a tracking beacon on them.  Find it and destroy it right away.  They won’t be coming back to your place.   Make sure your property is well-posted with no-trespassing signage.  
The preceding is something I might do (and almost did....they never returned). Just a little tutorial....you must decide for yourself.  Check for laws regarding your rights And possible liability.

Cat Brules

There was a case here in Colorado where a man had a tall privacy fence around his yard.  His 16 year-old daughter was outside sunbathing in a skimpy bikini.  Dad looked up in the sky and saw a drone with a camera watching her; obviously some pervert (re-read the part where I said she was a child) was getting his rocks off.  So dad did what any good dad would do, and blasted it out of the sky with a shotgun.

He was arrested, pled not guilty, and took it to a jury trial.  The jury nullified it, meaning they admitted he did everything the law says you have to do to be found guilty, so he was technically guilty, but all 12 voted not guilty anyway.  

There are sites where you can register your property as a “Drone No Fly Zone”. I would first do that. You can do a search for these sites and register. I did that in Oregon and a local drone flier that frequently buzzed my backyard stopped. 
Now, I don’t know if the “no fly zone” worked or the appearance of me aiming my shotgun at the drone did the trick but either way I got the desired result. 
I did have to go speak with a neighbor about him flying his drone and taunting  me by hovering about my house appearing to look into windows after I made it known I would shoot it down. He told me he had rights and it was illegal to shoot his drone. I reminded him that it was illegal for me to shoot him as well and that very soon both were probably going to occur and that no jury in our area would sympathize with a drone flying pervert. That took care of that. By the way, my neighbor up the street did shoot this guy’s drone down then ground all the parts up and hand delivered them to the drone pilot in a bag. ;)

Here is one link for “no fly” sites. This only works if the drone has GPS and is made by a certain set of manufacturers. 

https://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/10/noflyzoneorg-lets-you-register-anti-drone-space-around-your-home

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/no-fly-zone-drones/

Here is some educational material for learning about drone laws. 
https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/where_can_i_fly/

I would suggest that you use the LAWS* to your advantage! ;)

I hear the Navy is discounting the price. :o

2020_06_21_09_30_18.thumb.jpg.778c445a0d5d247147295b474fa767f3.jpg

* LAser Weapons System

https://www.securitymagazine.com/articles/88696-before-you-pull-the-trigger-the-legal-implications-of-shooting-down-a-drone#:~:text=The%20drone's%20presence%20is%20at,interfere%20with%20your%20principle%20mission.&text=In%20other%20words%2C%20it's%20illegal,drone%2C%20according%20to%20federal%20law.

The FAA considers unmanned aircraft of any size to be covered under Title 18 of the United States Code 32, which describes “sabotage to include destruction of any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States.” Violation of this code carries a maximum prison sentence of 20 years. In other words, it’s illegal to shoot down any aircraft in the U.S., including a drone, according to federal law. And lest you decide that simply jamming or intercepting control of the offending drone might be more your style, know that the FCC considers any form of “jamming” or otherwise interfering with radio transmission to be a violation of the Communications Act of 1934. Between these two federal laws, most anti-drone technology on the market (including net guns and jamming guns) could put you into some legal hot water.

Howdy,

I wonder how drones deal with smoke?

Lots and lots of smoke.

Smoke could make navigation bumpy too.

Best

CR

and if I ever found a downed drone I would gather up every bit

of it and drop the whole thing in a river.  Preferably wearing gloves.

10 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

.... din't you just buy a new shotgun ? ....... :ph34r:

Shooting drones is usually considered a criminal act that will result in an arrest

Our local power company, SDGE contracts with a company out of Colorado to inspect their power poles for damage and vegetation clearance. We’ve got two poles on our property that they inspected with their drone on Friday. It was very interesting to watch. I visited with one of the technicians a little and he told me they had 42,000 power poles to inspect in the power companies entire area and they’d be inspecting until December or later. Not all drones are used for nefarious reasons and shooting one down may get you a hefty fine and jail time.

Honestly, if it ever came to my privacy being invaded by a drone, :angry:

I would buy one myself.

droneintercept-530073912.thumb.jpg.fd07a32d875e764d403e62930c2abeed.jpg

The next time I see the drone, I would launch my drone and merely hover next to the invading drone with my camera clearly focused on the drone, making sure the operator knows I am now watching them! :)

When the drone decides to leave, I merely follow it back to it's operator, continuing the filming.

Once it arrives at it's starting point, I make sure I've got a clear shot of the operator, and if they drove, get a clear shot of the vehicle and it's tag number. :lol:

Reporting them becomes a mere formality.

And you may never see them again. :D

32 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

Garth,     I thought that very thing.  Getting a good drone and following it home and get pictures of them

Trigger Mike,

I believe I'll start my search now.

If anyone already has one they really like, let us know.

Til then....

6 hours ago, Chantry said:

Shooting drones is usually considered a criminal act that will result in an arrest

................. ummmmm, ... what about shooting at something NEAR said drone .... and accidently "missing" ........... ?????  :blush:

8 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

................. ummmmm, ... what about shooting at something NEAR said drone .... and accidently "missing" ........... ?????  :blush:

The police will come and arrest you anyway and it's likely that you will run up some significant legal bills and lose any right to own a firearm

Aircraft require tail number.  Drones do not.

Did I see a drone on my property Officer?  You mean someone was tresspassing on my property and spying on me?  Who would do such a thing?  If you know who I would be willing to press charges.  Do you have a business card or a number I can call if I find it?  Have a good day Sir.  After the Officer leaves go back to string up the fire in the burn barrel that you threw in what as left of the drone.  :D

Just found out that the drone flew inside another neighbors shop so he fired a fire extinguisher at it a couple of weeks ago.   

Glad my barn door was closed last night.

A counter drone sounds good assuming I can catch it in the air.  

30 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Aircraft require tail number.  Drones do not.

Not exactly accurate, Matthew...

For several years now the FAA has required that all R/C aircraft (planes, rotorcraft, drones) must be registered and bear the owner's ID information.   ;)

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/

https://drone-registration.net/rc-registration-faa-faqs/

General sUAS (small Unmanned Aircraft System) RC Aircraft FAQ’s

Q1. Do I need to Register my R/C (remote control, RC) Aircraft even if it’s a toy or hobby plane?

A.  Yes. A RC aircraft is an unmanned aircraft system. An RC plane, drone and sUAS are the same for registration purposes.

Q2. When must you complete your registration?

A. All existing aircraft must be registered and labeled before flight.

As far as shooting down a drone, better check your laws about the discharging of firearms in your town. It's illegal in my town unless it's self defense or I'm in fear of my life like a rabid dog.

i live in the country.  some days there is so much shooting from all of my neighbors that I think of Iraq.  along with two neighbors having a shootout, some druggies had a gunfight a couple of years ago.  

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

Just found out that the drone flew inside another neighbors shop so he fired a fire extinguisher at it a couple of weeks ago.   

Glad my barn door was closed last night.

A counter drone sounds good assuming I can catch it in the air.  

Hang a gill net across your shop door and across any other place you think a drone will snoop around. 

Maybe bait a trap for it.

Bet you snare it.

12 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Not exactly accurate, Matthew...

For several years now the FAA has required that all R/C aircraft (planes, rotorcraft, drones) must be registered and bear the owner's ID information.   ;)

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/

https://drone-registration.net/rc-registration-faa-faqs/

Are you saying that drones are required to have registration numbers on their tails too?

Archived