SASS Wire Forum

Sights on new Taylor & Co. (Uberti) Cattleman

Col James MacLeod

I recently bought 2 Taylor & Co. Uberti 1873 Cattleman SAAs.  I took them out to shoot and they were very nice to shoot, but I could not hit the  broad side of a barn door when standing inside the barn!!  After taking them home, I had a look at the sights and found that the front sight was significantly higher than the rear sight.  I used a micrometer and calculated from center of bore.  The front sight is 0.1665" higher than the top of the rear sight.  This is almost 11/64" which puts the bullet drop without considering ballistics >15" low at 15 yds!!!  This corresponds to my experience on the range.

So, I am embarrassed to have to ask this, but is this normal....and if so what do I do about it?

1)  My first thought is to file down the front sight.

2)  Then I started thinking.....(always a dangerous thing).  Am I using the correct sight picture?  I am aligning the top of the front sight with the top of the rear sight.  Maybe I should sight with the front sight above the rear sights.  It would certainly make it easier for shooting steel.  Not as accurate, because it would be challenging to be consistent, but with time and practice it might work better.

The pictures aren't great, but do show what I am talking about...................

image.png.b02186ea73c712a6d6ffc9dc880cbd60.pngimage.png.1e739cbee8b41e31a20218b6f8d0326b.png       

Any advice would be greatly appreciated........

Col. James MacLeod

Before you do any filing, shoot each one from some kind of solid benchrest so you can have a solid base for barrel and grip. Set it where you think front sight should be and then find your POA.  Start adjustment after you find where the POA is centered and then see where front sight is, you can do what's needed after that. 

I have to respectfully disagree about having a "solid base for barrel and grip".  Find the point of impact for a pistol depends on how it recoils in your hand(s).  How the gun is leveled compared to your eyes will also affect the point of impact.  You also should be using the loads you will use for SASS matches, etc.

What I recommend is to find a rest for your elbow(s) (both if you shoot two-handed) while standing, similar to the posture you will use when in competition.  (A tripod with a piece of wood or something attached as a crossbar could be used.)  As to the height of the front sight, most modern manufactures intentionally leave the front sight extra high to permit the shooter to file it down as desired.  As to what sight picture you use, that is  up to  you.  Personally, I do leave the top of the front sight on my sixguns slightly above the top of the backstrap.  I can NOT tell you how much, as that will be a personal preference.  The main thing is to be consistent in your sight picture.  Start shooting as I described, and shoot five-round strings.  I usually shoot at 25yds, but you may want to halve that distance to get started.  If the point of impact (POI) is way below your point of aim,  you might want to attach an additional bullseye target below the intended target.  How much to file off will also depend on the barrel length of the gun. 

At 25 yards, to raise POI 1-inch, for a 4-3/4" barrel Colt's SAA (or replicas), remove 0.00624" from the top of the front sight blade.

for a 5-1/2" barrel     "          "              "              remove 0.0071"

for a 7-1/2" barrel     "          "              "              remove 0.0093"

If you are shooting at a closer target, these figures will move the POI  0.4" at 10 yds;  0.5" at 12-1/2 yds; and 0.6" at 15 yds.  So, shoot a little, file a little.  Just take it slow and easy!

Stay well, Pards!

35 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I have to respectfully disagree about having a "solid base for barrel and grip".  Find the point of impact for a pistol depends on how it recoils in your hand(s).  How the gun is leveled compared to your eyes will also affect the point of impact.  You also should be using the loads you will use for SASS matches, etc.

What I recommend is to find a rest for your elbow(s) (both if you shoot two-handed) while standing, similar to the posture you will use when in competition.  (A tripod with a piece of wood or something attached as a crossbar could be used.)  As to the height of the front sight, most modern manufactures intentionally leave the front sight extra high to permit the shooter to file it down as desired.  As to what sight picture you use, that is  up to  you.  Personally, I do leave the top of the front sight on my sixguns slightly above the top of the backstrap.  I can NOT tell you how much, as that will be a personal preference.  The main thing is to be consistent in your sight picture.  Start shooting as I described, and shoot five-round strings.  I usually shoot at 25yds, but you may want to halve that distance to get started.  If the point of impact (POI) is way below your point of aim,  you might want to attach an additional bullseye target below the intended target.  How much to file off will also depend on the barrel length of the gun. 

At 25 yards, to raise POI 1-inch, for a 4-3/4" barrel Colt's SAA (or replicas), remove 0.00624" from the top of the front sight blade.

for a 5-1/2" barrel     "          "              "              remove 0.0071"

for a 7-1/2" barrel     "          "              "              remove 0.0093"

If you are shooting at a closer target, these figures will move the POI  0.4" at 10 yds;  0.5" at 12-1/2 yds; and 0.6" at 15 yds.  So, shoot a little, file a little.  Just take it slow and easy!

Stay well, Pards!

Thanks for the great information.  I agree with your comment about the difference between using a solid base and freestanding as I have experienced that myself.  I was using Winchester 250gr 750 ft/s cowboy loads so that is close to what I normally shoot.  Depending on what others might have to say going forward, I think I will leave them as they are and not cut down the front sight at this time.  Or at least until I get in a lot more practice.

Respectfully, need to find POA for starting point, then move on as I said " do what is needed".Freehand is freehand and not solid enough to start with. Loads are a whole different matter. 

Archived