SASS Wire Forum

12 and 20 gauge light loads

stef75

As I understand personal load data cant be posted, but can anyone suggest a good resource. Is it possible to load down to single digit quantities, aka under 10 grains of any powder? I ask this only being a cheap SOB trying to save powder.

1 hour ago, stef75 said:

As I understand personal load data cant be posted, but can anyone suggest a good resource. Is it possible to load down to single digit quantities, aka under 10 grains of any powder? I ask this only being a cheap SOB trying to save powder.

Powder aint expensive.   Shot is, I use 3/4 oz..       But you need more powder to make required operating pressure      GW

Best recipe:

fill the hull with Black Powder, fit a few shot pellets on top, and roll crimp.

Bang..Fire...Smoke, what else do you need !?!

Thanks fellas, Im in Australia so cant take advantage of those offers. Powder is a little expensive here, well not too bad, but its going up in price with this covid stuff.

About the lowest I know of in standard powders (Clays - whatever it is designated down there) is 12.5 grains in a 12 gauge with 7/8 oz shot with a Winchester/Claybuster grey wad.

In colder weather you may be 13 grains.  It really is not worth the few pennies to try to shoot with anything lighter.

As to 20 gauge, go with 3/4 or 7/8 oz lead the WAA20 or equivalent wad with Winchester AA or Remington hulls and stry 10 or 11 grains of Universal.  As you may know, 20 gauge works better with a little slower powder.

The Original Lumpy may help out with some great Unique loads, but they generally need a little more powder.

Archived