SASS Wire Forum

Cooking

Whiskey Hicks

Lately my girlfriend and I have been getting into watching Cowboy Kent Rollins and Townsends channels on YouTube for older recipes. 

Townsends is almost like a colonial era Mr. Rogers. Anyways, any of you have favorite cooking channels or recipes of a not so modern nature?

International Dutch Oven Society

I've been trying to work my way thru some old boxes of recipes I inherited, to see which ones I like and which to get rid of/give away.  Last night was "Amish Cinnamon Bread".  Pretty good.  Several of the recipes only list ingredients without any baking directions.   One is "War Cake".   I'm really curious about which war.   I haven't tried that one, yet.  Obviously from back in the day when people actually knew how to cook and didn't need directions.

Next week is "Cherry Delight" and "Coffee Cake".

The plan is to take the ones I've tried and like and put them all in one box.  Shouldn't take me more than six or seven years.  :lol:

Angus

23 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

One is "War Cake".   I'm really curious about which war. 

I've run across them from both WWI and WWII.  I've also seen them called "Depression Cake or War Cake, which suggests even the WWII recipes have their roots in the WWI rationing. 

Here is one from WWII:

https://firstwefeast.com/eat/2013/11/war-cake-recipe-wwii-rationing

bgkgaxyfarlgd5xavi4b.jpg

Another: https://www.rockrecipes.com/war-cake-a-k-a-poor-mans-cake/

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I've run across them from both WWI and WWII.  I've also seen them called "Depression Cake or War Cake, which suggests even the WWII recipes have their roots in the WWI rationing. 

Here is one from WWII:

https://firstwefeast.com/eat/2013/11/war-cake-recipe-wwii-rationing

bgkgaxyfarlgd5xavi4b.jpg

Another: https://www.rockrecipes.com/war-cake-a-k-a-poor-mans-cake/

That one is pretty similar to the one I have.  The main difference is mine calls for "White Sugar" instead of Brown Sugar.  Plus a couple of other minor differences.

Angus

2 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

I've been trying to work my way thru some old boxes of recipes I inherited, to see which ones I like and which to get rid of/give away.  Last night was "Amish Cinnamon Bread".  Pretty good.  Several of the recipes only list ingredients without any baking directions.   One is "War Cake".   I'm really curious about which war.   I haven't tried that one, yet.  Obviously from back in the day when people actually knew how to cook and didn't need directions.

Next week is "Cherry Delight" and "Coffee Cake".

The plan is to take the ones I've tried and like and put them all in one box.  Shouldn't take me more than six or seven years.  :lol:

Angus

Sawmill Mary said she'd like to see the recipe for Amish Cinnamon Bread.  

I want to know where Kent Rollins and Townsend were when I was active in scouts and doing a lot of that type of cooking.

I find Townsends fascinating and own both of Kent’s cookbooks 

8 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Sawmill Mary said she'd like to see the recipe for Amish Cinnamon Bread.  

OK, I can do that.  Not sure where the recipe came from, but it was written in my grandmother's hand writing.

Amish Cinnamon Bread - Makes 2 Loaves

No kneading.  Just mix it up and bake

Batter:

1 Cup butter - softened

2 Cups sugar

2 Eggs

2 Cups Buttermilk  (2 Cups milk + 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice)

4 Cups Flour

2 teaspoons Baking Soda

Cinnamon/Sugar Mix:

2/3 Cup Sugar

2 teaspoons Cinnamon

Mix in separate bowl

Directions:

Cream together Butter, 2 Cups Sugar and Eggs

Add Buttermilk, Flour and Baking Soda

Put half of the batter, or less, into greased loaf pans (1/4 in each)

Sprinkle 3/4 of the Cinnamon mix on top of the batter in the two pans.  Add remaining batter to pans.

Sprinkle remaining Cinnamon mix on top and swirl with a knife.

Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes (Mine took a lot longer for some reason)  Test with toothpick.

Cool 20 minutes before removing from pan.

FWIW, on one loaf I swirled/mixed the Cinnamon mix in the bottom half of the batter before adding the second half.

On the other loaf I just spread the mix on top of the bottom half of the batter.

When done you couldn't really see the Cinnamon mix in the first loaf, but on the second (where I actually followed the directions) you could see where the mix had kind of mixed itself up in the bread while it baked.

Both tasted great, but I think I'll stick with the original instructions in the future.

It's not bread dough like I expected.  This pours out of the mixing bowl.  Maybe I should have added more flour?

Enjoy,

Angus

3 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

It's not bread dough like I expected.  This pours out of the mixing bowl.  Maybe I should have added more flour?

That's about right for a quick bread.

7 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

I'm not real experienced as a baker.  I'm not too good at improvising baked goods.  If I don't have proper directions I'm lost.

I just looked up some quick bread recipes and compared the flour to liquid ratio.  The recipe you posted falls within the range i saw.

My paternal grandmother passed away in 1963, and with her, the secret of her delicious boiled custard.  I was 5 when she passed, but I can still recall the taste, as do my brothers and first cousins.

10 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

OK, I can do that.  Not sure where the recipe came from, but it was written in my grandmother's hand writing.

Batter:

1 Cup butter - softened

2 Cups sugar

2 Eggs

4 Cups Flour

2 teaspoons Baking Soda

Cinnamon/Sugar Mix:

2/3 Cup Sugar

2 teaspoons Cinnamon

Mix in separate bowl

Directions:

Sprinkle 3/4 of the Cinnamon mix on top of the batter in the two pans.  Add remaining batter to pans.

Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes (Mine took a lot longer for some reason)  Test with toothpick.

FWIW, on one loaf I swirled/mixed the Cinnamon mix in the bottom half of the batter before adding the second half.

On the other loaf I just spread the mix on top of the bottom half of the batter.

When done you couldn't really see the Cinnamon mix in the first loaf, but on the second (where I actually followed the directions) you could see where the mix had kind of mixed itself up in the bread while it baked.

Both tasted great, but I think I'll stick with the original instructions in the future.

Enjoy,

Angus

Thants!  That was a lot of effort. 

2 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

My sister told me that when my Grandma would give someone her recipe for something, she always left one little ingredient out so it wouldn't come out right.:o

Mama had a recipe for what I called orange cake. I come to find out it was actually apricot cake. Regardless, it was a dense pound cake with a glaze on it.

In the fifth grade it frequently showed up in my school lunches, and I gave some to a friend of mine. He thought it was extremely delicious and asked if my mama would give his mama the recipe. I asked her and she wrote it down.

Four or five days later he brought a piece to school for me. It was very fluffy. Somewhere between the texture of a layer cake and an angel food cake.

It was good but it was not the way Mama made it. I'm sure that Mama did not write the recipe down incorrectly. I don't know what his mother did. But it was not the same cake.

On 6/19/2020 at 11:16 PM, Whiskey Hicks said:

Lately my girlfriend and I have been getting into watching Cowboy Kent Rollins and Townsends channels on YouTube for older recipes. 

Townsends is almost like a colonial era Mr. Rogers. Anyways, any of you have favorite cooking channels or recipes of a not so modern nature?

I am subscribed to both channels.

22 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

My sister told me that when my Grandma would give someone her recipe for something, she always left one little ingredient out so it wouldn't come out right.:o

I took a grilling and barbecue class at CIA (Nono, not THAT CIA, Culinary Institute of America).  The class was taught by Jim Heywood whose recipe was Big Jim’s Hogsbreath Chili which did win several prizes in chili competitions.  Jim said that when you win the national competition they ask for your recipe, but you never give them the exact recipe.  I know I could give you my exact shrimp chowder recipe and my chowder would be better than yours because technique is more important than anything else.

4 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I know I could give you my exact shrimp chowder recipe and my chowder would be better than yours because technique is more important than anything else.

Yep.  Little things learned through the years, things you might not even realize you do.  Plus learning the consistency you need for a dough, batter, or sauce and you may need to make slight adjustments for. 

On 6/20/2020 at 9:03 PM, Black Angus McPherson said:

Batter:

1 Cup butter - softened

2 Cups sugar

2 Eggs

4 Cups Flour

2 teaspoons Baking Soda

Cinnamon/Sugar Mix:

2/3 Cup Sugar

2 teaspoons Cinnamon

Mix in separate bowl

Directions:

Enjoy,

Angus

Sawamill Mary looked at the recipe and said,  "That's essentially quick bread with cinnamon.".   She mixed one up this morning and we has some wirh coffee this afternoon.   It was great. 

15 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Sawamill Mary looked at the recipe and said,  "That's essentially quick bread with cinnamon.".   She mixed one up this morning and we has some wirh coffee this afternoon.   It was great. 

Yep, good stuff.  If I have the ingredients for the old coffee cake recipe I'm going to try that one today.

Angus

Archived