SASS Wire Forum

Finally got an appointment

Monday 29th I get a new Med-tronics Mina (pronounced "meena") pace maker. It's inserted directly into the heart by going into a vein in the groin and anchoring it in the interior of the heart muscle.  30-45 minute process, but they'll keep me over night to make sure the anesthetic wears off.

Tiny little gadget, a silver colored cylinder a bit smaller in diameter than a .22 cartridge and just a bit over an inch long, with three little "claws" to anchor it in place.  No external wiring, controls or anything else.  Nothing but a dime sized scar where nobody but a medical professional will ever see it.  Most importantly no "box" under the collar bone so I can shoot as soon as they do a second week check.  They recommend a Med Alert bracelet some some over achiever wont "shock" me if I'm injured and unconscious.

Good for about ten years and then they can replace it or put a new one alongside.  I asked if I could get a foot locker full of them. :P

There are some out there already, but I'm told that I'll be the first VA installed unit this side of Saint Louis.  I'm really excited.  I'm also scared half to death.  I mean, they're fooling around with my heart.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I am sure it will all go well. It’ll probably enhance your orneriness. :D

Well Tom, I think ya got the date wrong, but we'll still be sending good thoughts and a prayer or two your way!    cowboy

You got this, Pard!!  I hope you get fixed up right nice like!!

Gotcha’ in my prayers and Schoolmarm says you’d better behave yourself.

Is it done at a V.A. Hospital or somewhere else? I had specialized brain surgery which the V.A. was not set up to do. So, I could choose anywhere in the U.S. to have it done. The University Hospital right next to the V.A. could do it so I chose them.

20 minutes ago, Smoken D said:

Is it done at a V.A. Hospital or somewhere else? I had specialized brain surgery which the V.A. was not set up to do. So, I could choose anywhere in the U.S. to have it done. The University Hospital right next to the V.A. could do it so I chose them.

I heard the installation was a breeze...:lol:

30 minutes ago, Smoken D said:

Yavapai Regional Medical Center has one of the highest rated cardiology facilities on the country, and the VA has me going to do the procedure.  

The VA here is very good, as was the one in California, and very UN-like the one in Phoenix which is terrible.  

I'm very happy with the situation.

O Lord Jesus Christ our God, Who did patiently endure the scourging and wounding of Your most holy Body, that You might save the souls and bodies of Your people, look graciously, we beseech You, upon the suffering body of this Your servant and give him strength to endure patiently whatsoever You shall see fit to lay upon him. Bless the means employed for the working out of his cure, granting that he may so endure his sufferings in the flesh that the wounding of his body may be to avail for the correcting and salvation of his soul, for Yours it is to show mercy and to save, O Christ our God; and to You do we send up Glory, as to Your Eternal Father and Your All‑Holy, Good and Life‑creating Spirit, both now and ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen.

Howdy 40.

I got 5 heart stents (stints) and 2 neck stents.

One stent and both neck stents were thru the groin but 4 of the heart stents were thru the wrist.

All the procedures were basically a breeze.

For now, I due for a new heart valve in the future.   3+ years ago, my Cardio Doc told me it would probably be within

2-3 years.  The VA doc told me about 3 years max.

This past week, the Cardio Doc says my valve is on a VERY SLOW process of plaque buildup and he now thinks it will

be about 3-4 more years.

The good part:   He said technology is allowing them to go thru the groin and insert the new value basically the same process

you mentioned for your process.   Open Heart isn't necessary on most valve replacements now.

I wish you well.   Hey, the overnight stay will allow you some special attention from some pretty female nurses.

Ice Cream and Cokes are FREE..... :D

..........Widder

Prayers are up for a successful procedure and a speedy recovery Forty. We are lucky to be living so near to YRMC.

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Howdy 40.

I got 5 heart stents (stints) and 2 neck stents.

One stent and both neck stents were thru the groin but 4 of the heart stents were thru the wrist.

All the procedures were basically a breeze.

For now, I due for a new heart valve in the future.   3+ years ago, my Cardio Doc told me it would probably be within

2-3 years.  The VA doc told me about 3 years max.

This past week, the Cardio Doc says my valve is on a VERY SLOW process of plaque buildup and he now thinks it will

be about 3-4 more years.

The good part:   He said technology is allowing them to go thru the groin and insert the new value basically the same process

you mentioned for your process.   Open Heart isn't necessary on most valve replacements now.

I wish you well.   Hey, the overnight stay will allow you some special attention from some pretty female nurses.

Ice Cream and Cokes are FREE..... :D

..........Widder

I met one of the nurses, Hector Jiminez.  It ain't a hopeful sign

Hector is a daytime nurse.

Those nighttime nurses are 'centerfold' specimens..... if you know what I mean.   No 'Chippendale' employees work at night except

in the dance halls.

You'll be in good hands.    Normally at night, the college interns roam the hospital halls.   When a couple of them walk

in the room and want to check out your 'wound', you'll be stuttering just to say .... "HI".

You won't see any 'Brutus' or 'Maude's at night.   It will be a couple college interns name Lucy, Angel or Geneva.

No Hectors, Johns or Butch'es.

You will be treated like a King from some 'adorned' young ladies wearing the latest perfume.

You will be the envy of your shooting Pards.

They'll have to 'defillbilate' your lips just to keep you from bitting off your tongue..... :P

..........Widder

Ah, this is good news for you.  I remember my 65 year old grandfather getting one of those box pacemakers that was inserted under his skin on the right groin area.  He liked showing it off at the dinner table and that’s why I remember it so well.

Glad you're doing well with the VA. I'm going to be seeing the VA cardiologist shortly. Had a triple bypass 12 years ago. Things going down hill again. Heart is at about 40-45%. 

Keep up the good fight. Always look to tomorrow.

Semper Fi.

On 6/20/2020 at 12:32 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Hector is a daytime nurse.

Those nighttime nurses are 'centerfold' specimens..... if you know what I mean.   No 'Chippendale' employees work at night except

in the dance halls.

You'll be in good hands.    Normally at night, the college interns roam the hospital halls.   When a couple of them walk

in the room and want to check out your 'wound', you'll be stuttering just to say .... "HI".

You won't see any 'Brutus' or 'Maude's at night.   It will be a couple college interns name Lucy, Angel or Geneva.

No Hectors, Johns or Butch'es.

You will be treated like a King from some 'adorned' young ladies wearing the latest perfume.

You will be the envy of your shooting Pards.

They'll have to 'defillbilate' your lips just to keep you from bitting off your tongue..... :P

..........Widder

What Widder is forgetting is the outstanding pain killers he was on...if you know what I mean. ;)

Actually, most nurses I know and have encountered are beautiful people. Some of the ladies are good looking too. :)

16 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Do we have an update on Forty yet...?   :huh:

I checked and he doen't have an update yet.

Went in yesterday for a full blood panel work up and some other tests, then got a CV 19 test.  (Damn those hurt.) and haven't heard diddly squat from anyone yet.

47 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I checked and he doen't have an update yet.

Went in yesterday for a full blood panel work up and some other tests, then got a CV 19 test.  (Damn those hurt.) and haven't heard diddly squat from anyone yet.

They won’t contact you until your CoVid results come back.

Archived