SASS Wire Forum

Gun Cart

Dusty Boots

I am in the process of building a gun cart. The wheels and frame are from a jogging stroller. I have a base mounted to the frame. I am starting to mount a two piece rifle /shot gun  rest. The top rest will be mounted to a horizontal brace near the top handles. The bottom rest will mount to the base plate.  The question is ; how many degrees from vertical can the barrels be and does the same apply to both rifles and SxS shot guns? I ask since the open action of a SxS shot gun changes the angle of the stock to the barrel which should change the placement of a SxS shotgun’s bottom rest to maintain the same angle as as rifle barrel.  Thanks for any guidance.

DB

If the SxS action is open, the bottom of the shot gun rest has to be placed further forward than that of the rifle.  The cart that I am using now, all wood, has two positions for the shotgun; one which matches the rifle slot if the action is closed and another, further forward if the action is open.  The top rest is lower so that the barrels of the shotgun, when opened, will fit into the the appropriate slot.  As far as a jogging stroller frame goes, I would look at photos of the Rugged Gear carts to get a better idea of how the rests are placed; too far back on the top rest can cause the rifle and shotgun butts to balance on the heel and become unstable, unless you build up the bottom rest, something like a box for each butt, to keep them from moving.

Good luck with the build.  Try to keep it as light as possible; it gets heavier as the season progresses.  :D

It is easy to locate where the shotgun butt should be. With the shotgun fully open put it in the cart so that the barrels are vertical. Now you know where the holder for the butt should be located. Other long guns should be within about 10 degrees of vertical. 

Archived