SASS Wire Forum

binocular opininonsss??

Chili Ron

Howdy,

Id like to find binocs that are quick and easy to focus.

Some work ok but take a week to get focused right.

And lighter is better.

Best

CR

I have always shared this to those new to western big game hunting.  Buy the best boots and optics you can afford. Everything else is secondary.  

I bought a pair of Steiners years ago that are "fixed focus" sorta. Focus the eyepieces at 50 yds and everything from there to Alpha Centauri is focused. Great for hunting. Mine or 10 or 12x, a little big but not too bad.

JHC

These aren't mine as I've had them awhile, but something similar.

https://www.steiner-optics.com/binoculars/shadowquest-8x56

I bought a pair of Sightrons about 15 years ago they are great in lowlight conditions. I've used them for hunting and about every other use. They were the "Editors Choice" in one of the outdoor mags back then. Great binocs, I would buy them again.

kR

I got some NIKON 7x.   Real easy to focus and adjust focusing from close to distant objects.

7x or 8x are good........ but when you have a steady rest, I would seriously consider 10x.

Don't fudge on quality.   Binoculars are basically a single purpose item and you'll want some high quality

dependability when you need them the most.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Id like to find binocs that are quick and easy to focus.

Some work ok but take a week to get focused right.

And lighter is better.

Best

CR

What's your budget and how will you be using them?

Don’t buy anything until you look through them.  I bought expensive binocs on the internet only to find they were just not comfortable in use.

Don’t be power hungry. High quality glasses with lower magnification will give you more detail than cheap high powered ones.  There is a reason you see a lot of 7-8X binocs; higher powers are tough to hold steady.

In addition to sporting goods stores,  check out what’s available at nearby camera and bird watching stores.  

“Easy to focus“ can be misleading.  I want binoculars that can be focused precisely for each eye.  My eyeglasses do not have exactly the same prescription for both eyes.  If I am going to spend high dollars for top quality binoculars, I want to make sure each eye is seeing the view as well as possible.  Another reason to try before buying.

I agree with J-Bar. Sadly it's very hard to try it before you buy it nowdays. Easy to focus is a mixed blessing as well. For years I used some Bushnell's with a speed focus paddle focus gizmo. Big 10x and good glass until my grandson dropped them on the sidewalk and jacked them up. :angry: Camera stores etc. are extinct in my area. Too powerful and/or too small are hard to hold steady. I have a small pair of Nikons  that are probably the sharpest glasses I've seen, can slip them in a coat pocket.....but they're so small they are hard to hold steady. Middle of the road 8x or so are the best compromise IMHO

JHC

Howdy,

I am going to try some nice light 8x30 from Leupold.

They look promising.

Big heavy gear gets left at home.

Best

CR

I was a binocular/camera collector quite a while back. Was primarily into German binocs. Ended up keeping a pair of pre-WWII 6x30 Leitz that were refurbished by the Russians, and a recent U.S. Navy spec 7x50 Fujion. Don't go boating anymore, so the latter just sits in a drawer. Still use the old Leitz's. Suggest getting glasses with individual eye focusing. Price is a major indicator of quality. 

As a side note, I have an old pair of French binocs that has two range finder markings; one for a mounted man on a horse, and one for a standing solder with a 1' tall hat. These still work OK.

Simmons Pro Sport 10 x 50s :for less than half a hundred dollars, I'm happy!

Had a set in each fire truck, the pumper and the ambulance, as well as our Marshal's cruiser.

I've survived two railroad hazmat derailments so far, one nearly killed my partner, and if DuPont's hazmat team hadn't showed up to tend the second one, myself, my partner, our entire fire department and at least half the township would have been killed.

I saved lives in both by glassing the hazmat placards before allowing anyone to move into the hot zone.

To this day I will not be without commo, and I will not be without glass, and I will not be without the ODOT HAZMAT index in the glovebox!

Howdy,

To be clear I have binoculars but they just take a good while to fuss

into focus.  And it seems some opportunities just vanish while I focus.

Thanks.

Best

CR

Archived