SASS Wire Forum

What’s just as good as coffee in the morning?

Utah Bob #35998

Watching the rain this morning. Oh well. 

4 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

NOTHING is better than coffee in the morning, NOTHING!!;)

Still being able to wake up tops my list! ;)

Coffee’s not so great when it’s likely to put you in the hospital. I’m allergic to it!  Started when I was about 16.  I always liked an ice cold Coca Cola, (accept NO substitutes!) in the morning!!:lol:

24 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Still being able to wake up tops my list! ;)

Well that and THEN COFFEE!!:D

Howdy,

All this music has me regretting not being with my nephew.

He is getting promoted to First Sarge this morning.

I guess the ceremony is very tame due to the c19 concerns.

Ive been promised video if they do anything worth keeping.

Best

CR

Yesterday I sat outside at a restaurant the Junction.

Ate breakfast from foam box. But saw a half dozen friends.

No problems with the crew there.

First time since march.....

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

M’rine Corps bands?  Members wear medals but no rank insignia? Except in the first video the band leader is a bird colonel?

All enlisted band members start at the rank on Staff Sgt E6

https://www.marineband.marines.mil/Members/Musicians/

But rank is not worn on the band dress uniform.

Chapter 6 USMC UNIFORM REGS

https://www.marines.mil/portals/1/Publications/MCO 1020.34H v2.pdf?ver=2018-06-26-094038-137

6103. INSIGNIA
1. Officers of the Marine Band will wear appropriate insignia prescribed in paragraph 4005, except that on the full dress coat, embroidered insignia of grade will be attached to the shoulder knots.
2. Insignia for Marine Band musicians will contain the musical lyre (See fig. 6-1). Insignia will be worn in the same manner prescribed for equivalent enlisted grade insignia in chapter 4. On special full dress coats or jackets, grade insignia and service stripes are not worn. Musicians will not wear grade insignia or service stripes on full dress coats or jackets; however, the Drum Major/Assistant Drum Major, Operations Chief and Assistant Operations Chief will wear grade insignia. Insignia of grade will be worn on the blue all-weather coat and 8th and I overcoat in the same manner as worn on the standard gray all-weather coat. Enlisted musicians will wear the gold metal grade insignia.
3. The Drum Major and Assistant Drum Major will wear officer branch of service insignia on the red coat (collar devices), on the white dress cover and on the waist plate.

https://www.marines.mil/portals/1/Publications/MCO 1020.34H v2.pdf?ver=2018-06-26-094038-137

3 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Now I have Sousa playing on my computer at work. 

It’s a bit addictive.

4 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Both are great choices.

This isn’t Sousa, nor even a march, but this is my version of blood-moving sunrise music...

One of a few pieces of music that will give me chills. The history behind it is interesting to me as well:

"Fanfare for the Common Man" was certainly Copland's best known concert opener. He wrote it in response to a solicitation from Eugene Goosens for a musical tribute honoring those engaged in World War II. Goosens, conductor of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, originally had in mind a fanfare "... for Soldiers, or for Airmen or Sailors" and planned to open his 1942 concert season with it.

Aaron Copland later wrote, "The challenge was to compose a traditional fanfare, direct and powerful, yet with a contemporary sound." To the ultimate delight of audiences Copland managed to weave musical complexity with popular style. He worked slowly and deliberately, however, and the piece was not ready until a full month after the proposed premier.

To Goosens' surprise Copland titled the piece "Fanfare for the Common Man" (although his sketches show he also experimented with other titles such as "Fanfare for a Solemn Ceremony" and "Fanfare for Four Freedoms"). Fortunately Goosens loved the work, despite his puzzlement over the title, and decided with Copland to preview it on March 12, 1943. As income taxes were to be paid on March 15 that year, they both felt it was an opportune moment to honor the common man. Copland later wrote, "Since that occasion, 'Fanfare' has been played by many and varied ensembles, ranging from the U.S. Air Force Band to the popular Emerson, Lake, and Palmer group ... I confess that I prefer 'Fanfare' in the original version, and I later used it in the final movement of my Third Symphony."

Back in the day we would heat up some Dr. Pepper in a sauce pan, until it steamed, and put it in a cup with a slice of lemon.

It was different, for sure...an acquired taste...if you could stick with it long enough to acquire a taste for it.  It did not seem as bitter as coffee. 

In fact, at some point, in the distant past, they even had a commercial on, down here, for: "Dr. Pepper served hot". 

Of course, I am of the "Captain Kangaroo" generation, and I remember the name of Sky King's airplane...if that tells you anything.

"That's the way it is, Monday, June the ___ 1962.  This is Walter Cronkite, CBS news....goodnight."

W.K.

18 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

NOTHING is better than coffee in the morning, NOTHING!!;)

That's right, and that's what I have some mornings, NOTHING!!:lol:

I love Sousa Matches.  I used to be lead trumpet in my junior and high school bands.  Sousa music also reminds me of Theodore Roosevelt, my favorite president.

41 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

First heard this from ELP! ;)

Wasn’t that used in a movie soundtrack?

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Wasn’t that used in a movie soundtrack?

UB,

As far as I know it was not used in a movie; however, it was an opening theme song for the TV series:

CBS_Sports_Spectacular.png.636ff00dbc281724c630c64f3c61649c.png

Archived