SASS Wire Forum

Does it even exist?

Boomstick Bruce

To add to that, you can get the gun in the white (or strip the bluing) to make it look somewhat stainless if it is the look you are after.  Some of the other stuff (Octagon barrel on a carbine and 45acp) might take a 'smith.

Interesting choice of caliber, .45acp.  Would be for Wild Bunch?

Cat Brules

Just now, Cat Brules said:

Interesting choice of caliber, .45acp.  Would be for Wild Bunch?

Cat Brules

Exactly, it can pull double duty in wb and cas, I can get 45acp cylinders for my kirst 58's and only have to load one caliber. Also less powder and practically free brass!

Stainless to match my Remington's... Octagon also to match my Remington's... 20 inch to match my shotguns...lol...

In reality, I want the above rifle as a 92... But I know that's unobtainable...

For now...

1 hour ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

Exactly, it can pull double duty in wb and cas, I can get 45acp cylinders for my kirst 58’s

Just be aware that it won’t be legal for Classic Cowboy which requires a rimmed cartridge. ;)

1 hour ago, Captain Clark said:

Just be aware that it won’t be legal for Classic Cowboy which requires a rimmed cartridge. ;)

i shoot duelist...

hmmm i wonder if a 45acp rifle would fire or could be made to fire 45CS???? 45acp headspaces on the case mouth and CS is rimmed... why couldnt the two work in the same rifle???

any gunsmiths want to chime in on this?

7 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

In reality, I want the above rifle as a 92... But I know that's unobtainable...

Rossi made a 92 in stainless with a 24 inch octagon barrel. Locate one and have it rechambered in 45 acp.

Two choices.  After you have the rifle built, have it Hard Chromed or Metalife Plated.  As long as we are talking about a '73, why waste your time and money piddling with 45 ACP.  Put a Smith Shop carrier in the 73 and shoot C45S all day long.  Shoot C45S in 45 Colt guns with standard cylinders.  Or ACP cylinders.

PS:  forgot the original question.  NO.  A stainless '73 rifle does not exist.

He wants a gun he can shoot in WB and shoot all 45acp. Seems to me it would be difficult to have an extractor that would work with 45acp and rimmed 45CS.

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Rossi made a 92 in stainless with a 24 inch octagon barrel. Locate one and have it rechambered in 45 acp.

As far as that goes, they made them with a 20" octagonal barrel also (I had one), but even if you could rechamber it to 45acp I doubt you could get it to feed.

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Two choices.  After you have the rifle built, have it Hard Chromed or Metalife Plated.  As long as we are talking about a '73, why waste your time and money piddling with 45 ACP.  Put a Smith Shop carrier in the 73 and shoot C45S all day long.  Shoot C45S in 45 Colt guns with standard cylinders.  Or ACP cylinders.

PS:  forgot the original question.  NO.  A stainless '73 rifle does not exist.

Actually there are a few that do exist.  Not chambered in .45 though

I think it was Goat neck Clem and a few others have 1873s that shoot 45acp.  I shoot with Sixgun Sam several times Wild Bunch world champion and she now shoots a 73 in 45 cowboy short shells.   Bullett 19707

12 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

i shoot duelist...

hmmm i wonder if a 45acp rifle would fire or could be made to fire 45CS???? 45acp headspaces on the case mouth and CS is rimmed... why couldnt the two work in the same rifle???

any gunsmiths want to chime in on this?

If you adjust the extractor and bolt face tab for .45 ACP, it’ll be too small for C45S. If you set it up for C45S, it may not reliably extract ACP.

Not yet. Once covid hit our shop went into overdrive making supplies for st judes so I lost access to the cnc machines.  I still need to do some spring's,  the wood, mag tube and lifter arm.   But I have shot one made by a gentleman from Wyoming who has been helping me troubleshoot the issues with galling.   He has made two. One in 25-20 and one in 32 s&w

Bolts are not that hard to come by.  Have a seperate bolt set up for 45 acp and the other for the C45S.  Five minutes and a screwdriver and you could change out the bolts.  Just don't lose that itty bitty pin that holds the two halves of the bolt together.

19 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

My dream rifle that is.

Here's the specs:

Stainless 1873 saddle ring carbine, short stroked in 45acp, 20" octagon barrel, with the carbine stock.

I’m sure the scammers will send you a pm saying they just happen to have on for sale.

3 hours ago, Montague Kid said:

1960151834_IMG_21361.thumb.JPG.91742a97ca8c65903c914d08f609b192.JPG201724383_IMG_21381.thumb.JPG.08da3a5543ceae16cb5d6ddc37709dfc.JPG1187758285_IMG_21371.thumb.JPG.96ccab8b7d7d2d9b68a9584a58f6b747.JPGNot exactly your dream rifle but pretty close. it fits the bill for MY dream rifle!1187758285_IMG_21371.thumb.JPG.96ccab8b7d7d2d9b68a9584a58f6b747.JPG

IMG_2057[1].JPG

Wow!!! Just WOW!!!! WOW!!!

did I say WOW!!!

12 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

He wants a gun he can shoot in WB and shoot all 45acp. Seems to me it would be difficult to have an extractor that would work with 45acp and rimmed 45CS.

Yeah, I didn't think of the extractor...

They could both chamber, just not extract....

Extracting empties is overrated...

22 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

As far as that goes, they made them with a 20" octagonal barrel also (I had one), but even if you could rechamber it to 45acp I doubt you could get it to feed.

Actually, they already exist.  The El Tigre 1892 copies used somewhere in South America were 45ACP.  In the '92 it requires a modification to the cartridge stop, as the normal one is set to keep rimmed cartridges in the magazine.  

I've modified my 1894 Marlin to run C45S, or Cowboy 45 Special as it's actually called.

There is nothing that can't be done with enough time and money.  But, remember this, time spent pursuing this will detract from time spent practicing.  The ONE and only true way to the winner's circle!

Archived