SASS Wire Forum

Groceries

Highwall

I've always kept a good stash of dry goods and canned goods in my basement ever since my Mormon neighbor back in the 70's told me he maintained at least a years supply for his family. That got me thinking, so I have kept a reasonable supply ever since. Now that the Covid19 has arised I've been ordering my groceries online (the wife and I are high risk)  and picking them up at designated times..

Everything is going good with one exception. I was raised on beef bologna slices and that's one thing the grocery stores have been sold out of every week!

I've got tons of Spam but that's only good when you fry the hell out of it. I miss slapping a slice of good bologna with American cheese on a buttered bread sandwich! 

I reckon I'm not the only one since it's the one thing for me that's sold out of every week.

:angry:

8 hours ago, Highwall said:

I've always kept a good stash of dry goods and canned goods in my basement ever since my Mormon neighbor back in the 70's told me he maintained at least a years supply for his family. That got me thinking, so I have kept a reasonable supply ever since. Now that the Covid19 has arised I've been ordering my groceries online (the wife and I are high risk)  and picking them up at designated times..

Everything is going good with one exception. I was raised on beef bologna slices and that's one thing the grocery stores have been sold out of every week!

I've got tons of Spam but that's only good when you fry the hell out of it. I miss slapping a slice of good bologna with American cheese on a buttered bread sandwich! 

I reckon I'm not the only one since it's the one thing for me that's sold out of every week.

:angry:

Not here! Plenty of bologna and lunchmeat!! Never ran out!

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

If they are getting it in and just selling out, ask what day they get it in and revise your shopping schedule.

I tried that but they said the deliveries are just what the supplier sends, not necessarily what they ordered. 

Lunch meat here is okay but pasta, rice, and paper towels are still out. 
I need some Uncle BeN’s rice...or whatever they name in now.

Out of stock on strange things up here as well.

Limiting the issue of prescription drugs etc. to a shorter term; you can't find alcohol swabs for injection site sterilization or for blood testing on the fingers for diabetics and for a while, you couldn't find alcohol itself, other than consumable.

The supply chain is starting to fill up again, but there are still spot shortages of some items.

I intend to re-stock over the next few months as they are talking about the possibility of a second wave in the fall.

Growing up in Northern Alberta, in the 1950s, I learned to always have a few months supply of goods on hand and I kept up the habit here in the East.

My Eastern born and raised wife now better understands and appreciates why I had those shelves of goods and two full freezers. 

I prefer the all beef bologna and hotdogs. They just taste better and they fry better when I want ‘em fried.

BUT if you want something really extraordinary, try deep fat frying a restaurant sized all beef hotdog, slap it directly on a toasted bun that has a slice of cheese on it and slathering it with some really spicy mustard whilst it’s still sizzling. Let it cool just enough that you can hold the bun and then let your taste buds celebrate!!

19 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

BUT if you want something really extraordinary, try deep fat frying a restaurant sized all beef hotdog, slap it directly on a toasted bun that has a slice of cheese on it and slathering it with some really spicy mustard whilst it’s still sizzling.

I've done that with garlic sausage,  the bun length polish sausage,  and kielbasa.   Good stuff,  Maynard.

5 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

The item our store has been out of is, of all things....garlic.   I’ve been having to use garlic powder in place of gloves. 

You put garlic powder on your hands?

6 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

The item our store has been out of is, of all things....garlic.   I’ve been having to use garlic powder in place of gloves. 

First we get a virus.  Now do we have to worry about vampires? :D

Great responses guys! Thanks for making contributions.

8 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I’ve been having to use garlic powder

That stuff's just not right.  Buy a jar of minced garlic in oil.  It tastes real.

Not quite.
Miz Pete wrote:

8 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I’ve been having to use garlic powder

That stuff's just not right.  Buy a jar of minced garlic in oil.  It tastes real.

The full exchange was:

14 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

You put garlic powder on your hands?

•  

Okay Joe.  I misspelled cloves.  I see the humor with gloves.  I think Miz Pete understood I meant "cloves" not "gloves."

Thankfully, on the last trip to the grocery store, the wife was able to buy a few heads of garlic.

I live in Houston, TX.  We’re fine on deli meat and cold cuts.  We also have plenty of toilet paper, but it’s priced at a premium.  My wife is picky about paper towels, and still cannot get her favorite brand.

5 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Okay Joe.  I misspelled cloves.  I see the humor with gloves.  I think Miz Pete understood I meant "cloves" not "gloves."

Thankfully, on the last trip to the grocery store, the wife was able to buy a few heads of garlic.

Around here what you call a head is called a foot and a clove is called a toe. Must be a Volga German thing.

Still no beef bologna available around here but the wife settled on just regular bologna, I think it tastes weird in comparison.

It's got beef, pork, chicken and who knows what else in it. :huh:

9 hours ago, Highwall said:

Still no beef bologna available around here but the wife settled on just regular bologna, I think it tastes weird in comparison.

It's got beef, pork, chicken and who knows what else in it. :huh:

I don’t eat much bologna, but my wife tells me that the Walmart near us has never run out of any luncheon or sandwich meat.  I’ve been able now to get out more and yesterday I had a doctor appointment, then we stopped at Walmart.  The refrigerated sections all had good supplies of all such various lunch meat, cheeses and everything else.  Walmart just never ran out of anything.  My wife doesn’t usually do much grocery shopping at Walmart, but if there’s a refrigerated something she can’t find at the grocery store, she will swing by there and can get it.

CB

On 6/20/2020 at 6:44 AM, T.J. Bones SASS# 75616 said:

Around here what you call a head is called a foot and a clove is called a toe. Must be a Volga German thing.

The French Culinary calls garlic cloves toes, Russians call them teeth,  zub tooth, zubchik clove.

Before my wife watched me cook, what you call a head of garlic, I called a clove.  My chili recipe calls for like 4 cloves of garlic.  I think it tastes much better now that I know the difference. 

No one ever taught me to cook.  That's the dangers of trying to learn stuff on your own. 

3 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Before my wife watched me cook, what you call a head of garlic, I called a clove.  My chili recipe calls for like 4 cloves of garlic.  I think it tastes much better now that I know the difference.

Ever driven through Gilroy, California during the Garlic Festival?   RG, you'd feel right at home!!  :lol:

Talk about an aroma!!!!

There’s the Polk County, Tennessee Ramp Festival!!

Mouthwash is overmatched here!!

Archived