SASS Wire Forum

Need a Marlin smith close to Indianapolis

Pee Wee #15785

Need a Marlin gunsmith!!!  Have a friend in Indianapolis, who wants to drive to a gunsmith.  He has a 336 in .30-30 that needs some work as it is grouping 3"-5" at a 100 yards.  Takes a Mack truck to pull the trigger, hammer has a 1000 lb spring.  You get the idea, in need of a good action job.  Need the chamber and barrel checked also to make sure no one has worked on it and the barrel crown is good.  If the Marlin jam can happen fix before happens.  Maybe add a ting sight.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

IF that  3-5" grouping is with iron sights. You're GTG:excl:

Have your friend check all screws to be sure they're tight.

OLG 

Howdy Lumpy.   I was thinking the same thing.

PeeWee,  part of that group size is that horrible trigger you mentioned.

As for the 'Marlin Jam' problem, it would be rare for the 336 or 1895 models to get the Marlin Jam.

The length of those cartridges and the VERY SLOW timing on the carrier may never cause a problem.

I agree that its always a good idea to let a competent smith check it out.  

..........Widder

Does Leister do Marlins as I think he is just out of Cincinnati.  If so anyone have his contact number and address.

OLG the grouping at 100 yards is with a 6x scope.  I know the trigger needs work but it also looks like the barrel needs recrowned.

I don't know much on Marlins as I use a Rossi 92, a 73 or USFA Lighting, all in .44-40.

He has a Malcolm 6X long rifle telescope off my sharps.  Like me he is in his mid 70's and can't hold for a good open sighted cluster.  His open sights looks like a shotgun pattern.   The rifle had a 4x Barris on it for years and the groups are a little larger with it mounted.  When I shoot it I get the smaller groups as I had my eyes operated on.  The Malcolm on my sharps carbine will do under 2" all day long if I could stand to do it.

I think the crown is bad causing the group sizes

Archived