SASS Wire Forum

Containers for Safe Powder Storage

bgavin

My neighbor wants to gift me with various powders in small amounts of 1 pound or less.
These are for experimentation purposes, for now.

I see most powder today comes in plastic containers.
Q: should I use glass Mason jars with sealed lids, or a Folgers small coffee container with fitted lid, or ??

19 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Go with the glass jar in this case.

The plastic the powder maker's use is a special anti-static that coffee containers are not.

OLG 

Plus, you don't want to get the powder mistaken for Dark French Roast.  Probably wouldn't taste the way you'd expect one mornin'.

I have black powder & smokeless  in tin cans and fiber containers that goes back to the 1950's and it is s good as new

Also the black plastic containers with BP that goes back to the 1970's - it is s good as new

So why change to mason jars

All my partials go in the empty black plastic's - properly labeled with lot and powder name - screw the cap tight and store them

PS:  Before we moved I stored all my powder in an outdoor storage shed -No Issues

I have a bunch of used plastic BP containers if you want to use them, about 50 of them. 1.00/container plus shipping. Just print up some new labels for them to keep them straight.

Apparently I was not clear... sorry.

My neighbor is going to gift me with small amounts of his powders... not his jugs of powders.
I don't have any empty powder containers, so I asked about how to best store what he gives me.

I figured glass is the most inert material and least likely to adversely affect the powder stored in it.

Just be sure you label it with the type of powder, the lot #, and a date.

DO NOT use masking tape and similar types of tape. 

Buy some 2X4 peel and stick address labels. 

I would NOT use glass for powder (or primers).  I'd get some small tupperware or similar plastic.   If it eats the plastic, you won't be out much.  But if the powder ignites or the container is dropped, the plastic will be SO much safer.

Just my call.  

In fact, I would not accept powder from anyone unless it was in it's original container.  Way too easy for someone to make a mistake about which two of the gray powders was Clays and .... which was not.  But you would find out if you loaded to the wrong powder assumption.

Good luck, GJ

Disagree with the glass people.  Powder containers are designed to burst at very low pressure.  This way if smokeless accidentally ignites it will burst the container and then just smolder.  Smokeless propellants only expand rapidly when confined.   A glass mason jar with a tight lid can withstand a fair amount of pressure.  Not that it is likely to ignite but if I am going to use a home container I am going to go with something as close to the original burstable plastic containers as possible. So, of your two OP options, the coffee can with lid is probably closer.  That plastic top would pop off under pressure and not be a glass bomb.

There are quality glass food containers that use plastic push-on lids.
My neighbor has a huge amount of powders in original packaging.
He and his Dad were both avid reloaders, so when Dad passed away, my neighbor has far more than he can ever use.

BTW, thanks much for the very thoughtful answers.

I agree with the comment about keeping it in the original containers as they are designed for the product and have the proper labels.

Static buildup can be a problem with glass containers.  It could occur as you pour the powder into the glass or if you have a charge on you and you open the container.  It takes quite a bit to ignite smokeless powder, but anything is possible and then you'd have a flaming container.  If you absolutely had to, I'd stick with black plastic powder containers that are properly labeled as they are made to reduce the static potential.  Plain plastic, like Tupperware is not anti static and you could get into the same issues as the glass containers.

If it's small amounts, I'd just dispose of it  

His Neighbor has powder in bigger Containers but is willing to give him a Pound or so of different Powers ,,, he just needs Containers that he can label and use for storage.  Well this is my take on the situation ....

Jabez Cowboy 

We've been around the "static discharge causes smokeless powder to ignite" bush SO MANY TIMES, and have NEVER FOUND A DOCUMENTED INSTANCE where this has been proven true!

I'd keep smokeless powder in plastic LONG before I put any in glass containers.

Here's an IDEA - have your neighbor keep the powder and when you need some, take one empty powder bottle, correctly labeled for the powder you want to try, over to his house and put a quarter-pound in that.     Most folks of a reasonable mind probably won't be testing out more than one powder at a loading session.

When you are done testing, dump the rest on the lawn.  My lawn is looking great this year because I broke down about 200 old shotshells from last 10 years of quality rejects - powder went on the lawn and watered in!

Good luck, GJ

Archived