SASS Wire Forum

Need info on TTN

Pit Bull Tex

Where to find a good schematic for the TTN hammered double?What parts do I need to slick it up?What spare parts should I have on hand?

Slicking - Nate Kiowa Jones is the short answer.

Never seen a schematic.  

Slicking - remove spurs on hammers - they will slice your hand up if you go fast.

- lighten mainsprings.   This can be tricky because spares are not easy to find.   They are flat springs that should be thinned to where your style of cocking will work.

- replace action release lever (top snap) spring with something lighter.  SlixSprings or Longhunter have a good replacement, IIRC

- hone the barrel breech to take the sharp edges off the entry to chamber, but leave the extractor alone and don't take all the rim recess out which gives headspace to the round.

- some trigger guards are rough and sharp on edges - smooth those

- examine the butt stock for any marks indicating the wood is rubbing on the action parts, and relieve those areas.

- clean the firing pin cones and springs and pins - they tend to have a lot of crud in them.  The cones and the hammer retaining hex nuts are an odd size metric hex nut.  I take a 9/32 socket and grind a taper to allow the socket to fit past the shields that the cones screw into, then slot across a couple of "corners" of the socket slightly, just enough to give a fit over the odd ball nuts.

Some folks reverse the triggers.   I'm right handed and have never felt the need to do that.

I've not seen the need to have spare parts.   Then again, I've not seen a good source of spare parts, either.  The butt stock is a weak design because of lack of wood around the action and in the wrist.   But no replacements are available!   Judicious use of bedding compound will reinforce the wood to receiver bearing points.

Good luck, GJ

I've been shooting a TTN since 2009, straight out of the box, no problems ever. Great hammered shotgun! I did grind the spurs off of the hammers after they bit me a couple of times. I think VTI or Numrich has a schematic.

Can't open them Texas Red.

PLUS ONE too Garrison Joe.  Parts are hard to come by.  The older TTNs had fairly heavy Main Springs.  Later guns have very nice Main Springs that should be LEFT ALONE.  The "Horns" on the hammers should be dulled/removed.  There really isn't much else to do.  I've had four.  I still have two, and have never needed to replace a part.  They are a little rough on the inside but built like tanks.  The only after-market part I have put in mine have been the Slix replacement top Lever Spring.

PS:  I have never seen a Schematic of the TTN.  Just the parts diagram that came in the box.

:D  Garrison Joe 

Why, yes.  At one time you could get a Brandy New TTN "Inna Box."  Came with a useless parts picture.  The two I have now actually included the Box's.  I don't have the boxes anymore.  More the parts diagram.  Currently, the only source of "parts" I know of is Cimarron but I don't actually know what they have.  I did have to send for a set of Main Springs once but that was some Lustrum ago :)

That parts diagram they use is actually an old reproduction of an original '78.  And Cimarron has never had it on their website.  To order any parts you just have to call them.   I think Slixsprings makes firing pins now as well as a top lever spring, at least I thought I saw those on their website.  

I have never had to replace anything on my Pre-Cimarron TTN, but then I don't shoot it all the time.  It only has 3683 rounds through it. :)  And I have never de-horned the hammers, since I cock them one at a time while reloading.  If anybody borrows it from me they better be careful. :lol:

Got it thanks.that will work for me.

Sure Mr Vaquero.

1 hour ago, El Mulo Vaquero, SASS #55942 said:

I have worked over many, many of these Cimarron/TTN 1878's over the years.  I put together a PDF file showing the basic disassembly of them with pics if you're interested.

El Mulo

Can you list it as an attachment for all of us?  Gracias!

It won't open here.

1 hour ago, El Mulo Vaquero, SASS #55942 said:

I put this on the wire a number of years ago.  Here it is again.  This is just a basic disassembly of the 1878

1878 disassembly3.pdf 512.31 kB · 9 downloads

Thanks Ken.  (Opens for me).  I save stuff like this posted on the wire but guess I missed it previously.

The originals came with lighter springs that you could install yourself.  You might be able to find someone who never did the swap and still have the extra springs they’d be willing to sell.

Seamus

Archived