SASS Wire Forum

Sprinkling powder on the lawn

Alpo

I'm sure everyone has heard of this. If you spilled some powder, or maybe you left some in the hopper and when you came back you forgot what was in there.

Not a problem. Just sweep it up or pour it out, then take it outside and spread it on the grass.

It is nitrogen-based, so it will break down and act as fertilizer.

I know I have heard that for years.

But how much is it safe to do this with.

I was pulling down some old OLD 8mm. Did not trust the brass, and the primers were corrosive. But the bullets were fine.

Somewhere I had read that when you pulled down old ammunition, you could keep the powder. Weigh 10 or 20 charges, to find the average charge rate, and then when you loaded the bullets into new brass using new non corrosive primers, you could use the old powder.

I have a 2-liter soda pop bottle full of pulled-down powder. I have two problems. I don't remember what I pulled it down from - whether it was Yugoslavian 8 mm or Korean 30/06. And I apparently neglected to write down what the average weight was.

I can't use this powder.

I could pour it out in a big pile and set a match to it. That might be fun.

I can dump it in the trash. We don't have a landfill. We have an incinerator. That also might be fun.

Or I could spread it on the lawn. But how much is it safe to spread on the lawn?

Anyone know?

FIre ant mounds. Get them good and pissed off by stirring the mound with a stick, pour some powder on and light. Fun and enjoyment for the whole family and the grass will grow back.

3 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Toilet.

Nah, I’m good.

4 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Toilet.

Now, where's the fun in that?  :rolleyes:

Unless you can maybe float it on a paper "raft" and then ignite it....   ^_^

You will probably never have enough powder that needs to be disposed of to make a difference to your lawn. Just scatter it on the lawn and forget it.

7 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

FIre ant mounds. Get them good and pissed off by stirring the mound with a stick, pour some powder on and light. Fun and enjoyment for the whole family and the grass will grow back.

Nonono, fire ant mounds are for pouring molten lead into and selling the resulting sculpture for thousands of dollars. Plus you get to burn the little beasties.

21 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Nonono, fire ant mounds are for pouring molten lead into and selling the resulting sculpture for thousands of dollars. Plus you get to burn the little beasties.

I ran a dozen rounds of .44 Russian into a red ant mound last week. Ticked them off good! I just wanted to make sure all cylinders in both revolvers went bang. They did.

Nothing in normal gunpowder that would hurt a lawn as long as there is not so much in one spot that a match would light it off. Fire is not good for a lawn.

8 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

A friend of mine did something like this, but he gave the ants a day to haul it into the mound.    The trail of powder burned like the fuse it is.       GW

You could use it to season your oatmeal. Just make sure they don't cremate you. ;)

Grandpa was mentoring his grandson on the secret of living a long and productive life: "Every morning, sprinkle a teaspoon of gunpowder on your oatmeal."
Well, when grandpa died at the age of 97, he left six children, 33 grandchildren, 48 great-grandchildren... and a 25-foot hole where the crematory used to be.

12 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Oh for the love of Pete ya gotta burn it! Ya just gotta! On video!

9 hours ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

I said it before, and I'll say it again. How is it that you don't have your own reality TV show? Or at least a blog

See? An idea for your first vlog.

9 hours ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

I said it before, and I'll say it again. How is it that you don't have your own reality TV show? Or at least a blog

Because reality TV isn't reality its scripted made up drama. Alpo's life isn't scripted and cannot be made up.

On 6/18/2020 at 7:55 AM, Cypress Sun said:

Fire ant mounds. Get them good and pissed off by stirring the mound with a stick, pour some powder on and light. Fun and enjoyment for the whole family and the grass will grow back.

I singed part of an eye brow and some hair doing this very thing with some black powder back when I had faster reflexes. Obviously not fast enough!

9 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Discouraging moles in my yard with old black powder.  Not a permanent solution, but fun!

B23F2562-2FF3-4095-B46A-F4E49902908A.thumb.jpeg.5ff6a8d59ebf5f5b6997343b1864ce07.jpeg

Didn't I see you in Caddyshack? Thought for sure I did.

Archived