SASS Wire Forum

My experience with Covid treatment

Blackwater 53393

So!! Monday morning about 10:00 I started feeling kinda’ crappy! I was in the middle of a mission of mercy, taking my old schoolmate to the hospital for some tests. He ended up getting a different ride home. The tests would involve most of the day, so I decided to go back home.

On the way home, I began to have violent chills and could feel my temp rising.  I knew immediately that I was suffering from an infection.  Some of the medications that I take make me more susceptible to infection and I damn near died from a MRSA infection back in November/December.

I made it to the house and Schoolmarm loaded up and got me to the emergency room.

Here’s where it gets REALLY stupid!  I haven’t been around any Covid victims. I have religiously practiced “Social distancing” and the ONLY symptom I showed was a temperature of 99 degrees. Instead of going after the infection and getting my symptoms under control, the demanded I take a Covid test and delayed, as much as possible, any further treatment until the results of that test came back. In the meantime, my condition worsened and with the exception of one male nurse whom I’ve known for nearly thirty years, I was basically ignored. Tim kinda’ pressed the issue and as a result, I was transported to the big hospital downtown.

Upon my arrival, I was admitted as a Covid patient, (I’m sure I’ll be counted in the statistics as a case) I was required to take ANOTHER Covid test and again was set aside to await the results. They did give me an IV of fluids and some kind of injection containing a heavy broad spectrum antibiotic. Still nothing for the fever and chills. The chills became so violent that they caused a lot of pain and I became exhausted.

After two more hours, (they had promised the test would only take an hour) they came back and informed me that I was negative for Covid and could be moved to a regular room with doctor’s instructions on medications and treatment.

When they got me to the room, I asked for the medications and was told that I would have to wait until they received the orders.  After more than an hour, the medications still hadn’t come and my fever went higher. When the orders finally came through, some pencil pushing nurse practitioner had changed the orders from aspirin to Tylenol!  I had explained that Tylenol has no effect on me, (a matter of record at this hospital) that the other synthetic NSAID could put me into anaphylactic shock, (also a matter of record) they finally gave me half my usual dose of aspirin and within an hour, my fever dropped almost to normal.

I overheard bits of conversation and found that hospitals are concentrating on Covid case to the detriment of other needed testing. It was nearly ten hours after I was moved to the room before they drew blood for cultures and other blood tests. They retrieved a urine sample which immediately indicated a UTI, but there was STILL no real treatment for infection and when the aspirin wore off the fever spiked to 103.7!

I asked for another aspirin and was offered Tylenol again.  I explained the situation again and they decided that they needed to get the doctor’s approval which he immediately gave, but this time, after another hour plus wait, resulted in an 81mg baby aspirin!!

This time I went OFF! The doctor was calld again and he repeated the original instructions. It took another eight hours to get the proper dosage and come to find out, the pencil pushers had struck again, deciding that the prescribed dose was not appropriate.

By this time, it’s Tuesday evening and I guess whoever was responsible got their wagon straightened out. Finally this morning, I was released with instructions and a prescription. Offhanded, as I was being wheeled to the car, I asked what kind of Covid traffic they’d been getting and was told that they had no more than 14 to 15 cases at any one time.

This is one of the largest hospitals in the city!!

Make of it what you will!

To add further insult to the situation, they called last night and informed me that they misdiagnosed the type of infection and that I have to go back in and go through the whole process again!!  :angry: :angry: :angry:

Now I understand why they try to prevent guns in hospitals!!  Well, I really already knew!!  :angry:

You're fortunate you didn't go to a VA hospital. Oh I forgot they're better now. LMFBO

I'm sorry for your mistreatment.

Unfortunately this is called practicing medicine because they don't have it down pat yet. 

4 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

To add further insult to the situation, they called last night and informed me that they misdiagnosed the type of infection and that I have to go back in and go through the whole process again!!  :angry: :angry: :angry:

Now I understand why they try to prevent guns in hospitals!!  Well, I really already knew!!  :angry:

Doctors, lawyers, politicians and TV evangelist.....about all you can expect out of them is disappointment, frustration, and hand reaching into your pocket.

Now you know.  You're better off staying away from clinics,  Dr offices and hospitals.  Just take two aspirin with lots of water and drink a lot of orange juice.  Set outside in the fresh air. 

Third leading cause of death in the US is medical malpractice.  

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Now you know.  You're better off staying away from clinics,  Dr offices and hospitals.  Just take two aspirin with lots of water and drink a lot of orange juice.  Set outside in the fresh air. 

Third leading cause of death in the US is medical malpractice.  

That's my mother's theory.  She hasn't been to a doctor since my little brother was born, 47 years ago.  She's 85 and still getting around, although a bit slower.  She thinks most medical doctors are a bunch of quacks that just want to get you on maintenance drugs for everything.   She's not against doctors, she just doesn't play their game.  Her answer to most ailments is Cod Liver Oil and tylenol.  

i am so sorry that you got that kind of treatment when it should have been simple , under any previous condition it would have ,

one day we are going to be told that this was the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the american public , it has ruined lives , businesses , every thread of american life as been disrupted except the rioters that get treated as "special" , excuse me if i dont play along , 

:ph34r:    

You're not really going back, are you?  I can think of all kinds of bad things that could happen with a staff like you described.  Who knows what REALLY is in the IV if they can't seemingly find their ass with both hands and a page of illustrated instructions.  Dealt with that kind of situation before, and thankfully survived. in one piece.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Yeah, I went back. I came in the door with my eyes open and my temper somewhat leashed.  

This time they went directly to work and they have mostly hit the mark.  The IDIOTS still can’t get the aspirin thing through their thick heads, but last night it took less than an hour to get the orders corrected.

It’s 5:00 am and I have had a quiet stress free night.  Lets see how today goes!:rolleyes:

20 hours ago, Go West said:

I'm sorry for your mistreatment.

Unfortunately this is called practicing medicine because they don't have it down pat yet. 

Don’t pull me into this...I got nothin’ to do with it and nobody’s gettin’ nothin’ down me without a fight!  :P :D

STESS: That confusion created when one’s mind overrides the body’s basic desire to strangle the living S#!t out of someone who desperately needs it.

On 6/18/2020 at 5:35 PM, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

That's my mother's theory.  She hasn't been to a doctor since my little brother was born, 47 years ago.  She's 85 and still getting around, although a bit slower.  She thinks most medical doctors are a bunch of quacks that just want to get you on maintenance drugs for everything.   She's not against doctors, she just doesn't play their game.  Her answer to most ailments is Cod Liver Oil and tylenol.  

My father is 84 and much the like your mother.  He will go for an annual physical just to keep my mother happy.  The doctor declares him a boring patient.  The doctor found his cholesterol a bit high the first visit and, of course, tried to prescribe a drug.  My father kindly refused and started taking flax seed oil.  Next annual visit, all numbers good.  Other than carrying a few extra pounds (still less than me), he's in good shape and still very active doing cabinetry and home repair work projects for neighbors.  He worked over 50 years in the autobody repair business; owning the operation for 40 years.  Lots of his peers died before or right after retirement of lung diseases because they weren't diligent about dust masks and paint respirators.  He always was.  Your mother and my father are proof that for most of us, our lifestyle can dictate our health better than drugs can counter bad habits.  Now where's that donut. 

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Have you recovered?   Did you find out what you actually had?  

Still hospitalized.  It appears to be a staph infection. The medications I take for diabetes make me more susceptible to infections.

I had a bout with MRSA back during the holidays. Spent the week before Thanksgiving through the first three weeks of January in the hospital or a rehab facility.

This time, thankfully, it isn’t MRSA!!   My most recent blood cultures have remained negative so far. They are administering aggressive antibiotics by IV and I expect them to give me a PIC line sometime today in anticipation of treating this with IV antibiotics when I am released.

Hopefully I will get to go home Tuesday.

Blackwater......

Please be careful.  Don’t let your guard down for a moment in the hospital!

Ask what everything is that they try to give you and who prescribed it!  You may find yourself being prescribed medications by a MD who you have never seen and who is prescribing for you by remote control.  Be careful.

Cat Brules

With your medical history, if I was working the ER, I would have gotten a Covid test, urinalysis, complete blood count, chemistry panel, and due to chiils and fever, blood cultures. You would have been admitted for 24 hour observation.

On 6/18/2020 at 5:34 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

Glad you didn't wind up another medical stastic

Medical Error Statistics

250,000 deaths a year attributed to medical error / malpractice.

2017 (the last year with complete data ?) the were 39,773 gun related gun deaths in theU. S.: 60% were suicides...people who could have as easily hanged, poisoned, or in some other way killed themselves...553 were killed by police action, and 37% were by murder(?).

And how many abortions, which in my book are murder, in the same period of time?

Add in drunk or drug impaired driving, drug overdoses, suicide or murder by other than gun fire, deaths by faulty equipment, arson, etc., and yet the libs keep on beating the drum for gun control.  Pretty well supports my belief that they don't give a tinker's dam about deaths, they simply want CONTROL and they can't get it until they get rid of and armed population.

MY apologies Blackwater, for highjacking your thread.  Take care of yourself and yours and consider filing a report to the medical authorities...who will circle the wagons around their own...about the treatment you did and didn't get.

24 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

I get good care from the VA.

For the most part so do I, but I'll happily die in the parking lot before they get into the VA in Phoenix again.  After four days of hell I stumbled onto a doctor who listened, checked my treatment record, and discharged me within about four hours...from 4:00 to 8:00 in the morning.

Sawmill Mary managed to pinch the very tip if one finger.  There was a cut that peeled the skin back. She couldn't get it to stop bleeding so she went to the emergency room.   They put in a couple of stitches.   The bill came back with a nearly $500 charge for a monogram and Dr charge for examination in another city.   She said to take the charges off. Their response was, your insurance will pay it. No.  Take it off! 

My stay back in the fall was lengthy and intense! After the smoke cleared, I began going over the bills to make sure all coverages were met and everyone got paid.  

When I totaled up everything that was spent, it came to over half a million dollars!!

Just now, right after noon, they informed me that they discovered an abscess in my bad foot. The one we just got healed up again. Results from an MRI taken Friday night.  My foot doctor has stepped in and taken over treatment, joining the infections doctor that got me through the MRSA episode. 

The adventure continues.

10 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

I get good care from the VA.

I'm so glad you do, however, many of us find that the care given by the VA is slipshod to criminal.  At the SLC VA hospital care is given grudgingly , if you had a heart attack in the lobby you better hope that's it just after break time or you could wait a long time. 

Latest:  They drained and removed the abscess.  No indication of infection in the surrounding tissue or bone. Blood cultures have remained negative since Saturday.

Barring any unforeseen complication, I just may get out of here tomorrow.

Schoolmarm had planned to spend the night here, but the stupid Covid protocols may preclude that.  STILL averaging fewer than fifteen cases at any one time here and word has it the other hospitals are experiencing similar conditions.

22 hours ago, twelve mile REB said:

I'm so glad you do, however, many of us find that the care given by the VA is slipshod to criminal.  At the SLC VA hospital care is given grudgingly , if you had a heart attack in the lobby you better hope that's it just after break time or you could wait a long time. 

Good care here in the Dallas/Ty;er system.

On 6/22/2020 at 1:26 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

My stay back in the fall was lengthy and intense! After the smoke cleared, I began going over the bills to make sure all coverages were met and everyone got paid.  

When I totaled up everything that was spent, it came to over half a million dollars!!

Just now, right after noon, they informed me that they discovered an abscess in my bad foot. The one we just got healed up again. Results from an MRI taken Friday night.  My foot doctor has stepped in and taken over treatment, joining the infections doctor that got me through the MRSA episode. 

The adventure continues.

Shoot. I'd take a contract to off you for half of that! :lol:

8 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Shoot. I'd take a contract to off you for half of that! :lol:

They STILL haven’t found the remains of the last three that thought that!! :ph34r:

Archived