SASS Wire Forum

What type of hat is this? (Logan from "Westworld")

I just started watching Westworld and have only gotten through season one's first 5 episodes (so no spoilers, please :P) but have been thoroughly enjoying it so far. Its costuming is interesting and seems to include everything from authentic 19th century to neo-Western to even steampunk-influenced pieces.

One particular character (Logan) has a hat that catches my eye every time it's featured in a scene but... what exactly is it? It seems to be smaller, have a squared-off silhouette, and narrower curled brim like a short top hat but the top of the crown resembles a gambler hat. I'd love to know what it is called, if they were/are common... and maybe even where I can find one if available!

3368a1faf070e9351a90accd044aec8e.jpg   uqyzruyynqzx.png

ggVUel_uyRLyjH7H_UzYwVmnYN6M-BfrqSgqbN8_GBdBy92e1p3ETAj_X8kQjK6fl_M9cFJ0oGAxDnrpCSef4Z2ddhZwtdLsIra9_XkdLBT4TWErRHiTRwWT_x_gmaOMzS2BWQQ0lIB8ZFkt76t2-3h3jFddKEH34f4k90P71CTkmmJ0_lyoJpOENunpR9MB0A   C9o3.gif

That style is known as a Telescope hat.  Clark Gable wore the same style in Gone with the Wind.

Any quality hatter can make you one or they can be found off the rack.

Some hat makers/shapers call that a “ Gambler”.  This particular example has a “pencil roll” brim and a bound edge. Similar hats are sometimes called “310 to Yuma” after one of the hats that Russell Crowe wore in the recent remake movie of the same name, but that hat had a flatter brim.

Pencil rolled, bound edge and a telescope crown just like the guys said above.

Anybody even decent at hat shaping should be able to shape one up easily. Tricky part will be getting the right width brim to duplicate it exactly. Looks to be a couple or 3 inches narrower than the modern cowboy hat the guy's wearing in the gif.

If it is a "Fantasy" series, about a "Fantasy" place, in a "Fantasy" place, made by Hollyweird, what would "Period Correct" have to do with it??  Anyway??

PS:  I have that hat.  By Rodeo King.  5X Beaver.  I believe they called it a gambler but that was 20 years ago.  No clue now.

1 hour ago, Grass Range said:

That Grey hat the other guy is wearing is not period correct

Not that anyone cares much about period correct, but that’s basically a run of the mill “Cattleman” like you buy in any of today’s western stores.  Wouldn’t be caught dead wearing one.

just my personal point of view 

Eagle Hats makes a gambler with a wide ribbon like that. They’re made in USA and not expensive.

https://eaglehats.com/product-category/felt-hats/

2 hours ago, Grass Range said:

That Grey hat the other guy is wearing is not period correct

Actually - within the context of the show it's the perfect hat.  As I remember that character was "dragged along" and wasn't particularly happy to be in Westworld (at first).  So it would make sense that his outfit would be poorly chosen.

Thank you for all of the pointers, everyone! I had no idea that the term "gambler hat" referred to a general style/construction of headwear with subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle) differences within it. I've also heard great advice about talking to somebody (ideally in person) about those differences before making a purchase. As it would turn out, the brick-and-mortar storefront for FashionableHats.com is only a 30 minute drive from where I live so I decided to take a trip today.

With this thread in mind and using some of the terms that I learned from it, I was able to articulate to the salesperson what I was looking for. I ultimately left with a relatively inexpensive off-the-shelf hat called the "Orleans" by Dobbs that checked most of the boxes for me. (It's pictured below in front of the derby hat that I usually wear to matches, which was a sight-unseen online order that luckily happened to fit my needs and head just fine.)

I was warned that cowboy action shooting gives you not only a perpetual itch to expand your firearm collection, but possibly also your wardrobe... and I think I'm beginning to understand that first-hand!

IMG_3608.thumb.jpg.6500a23f910ce8ed42ae4dae69bb0f0d.jpg

1 hour ago, Santa Rosa Slinger said:

Thank you for all of the pointers, everyone! I had no idea that the term "gambler hat" referred to a general style/construction of headwear with subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle) differences within it. I've also heard great advice about talking to somebody (ideally in person) about those differences before making a purchase. As it would turn out, the brick-and-mortar storefront for FashionableHats.com is only a 30 minute drive from where I live so I decided to take a trip today.

With this thread in mind and using some of the terms that I learned from it, I was able to articulate to the salesperson what I was looking for. I ultimately left with a relatively inexpensive off-the-shelf hat called the "Orleans" by Dobbs that checked most of the boxes for me. (It's pictured below in front of the derby hat that I usually wear to matches, which was a sight-unseen online order that luckily happened to fit my needs and head just fine.)

I was warned that cowboy action shooting gives you not only a perpetual itch to expand your firearm collection, but possibly also your wardrobe... and I think I'm beginning to understand that first-hand!

IMG_3608.thumb.jpg.6500a23f910ce8ed42ae4dae69bb0f0d.jpg

You have no idea- yet.  CAS will do some seriously weird things to folks.

Vendor's Row, End of Trail '02 (back when it was still being held in Norco) right after the early posses got done shooting on the 1st day, I decided to go see what was available.  I walked into one of the tents and there's this BIG guy dressed like a buffalo hunter, wearing crossed bandoleers, his match pistols and 3 or 4 knives one him looking at the vests.  As I approached the end of the rack, he pulled a vest on a hanger off of the rod  (it looked to be about a 3 or 4 XL), held it up in front of him and said to me, "What do you think?"- bear in mind, we've never met or even seen each other before.

My immediate reply was, "What do you plan on wearing with it?"

Next day around lunch time, there's a couple of ladies dressed in Victorian finery- lace gloves, veils on their hats, parasols, the whole 9 yards- strolling along near the food vendors.  As they passed me, I overheard a little piece of their conversation.

They were discussing reloading.

22 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

You have no idea- yet.  CAS will do some seriously weird things to folks.

Really? :lol:

Archived