SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter Rules

JohnWesleyHardin

45 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Only explanation I have ever seen is that it is just too dangerous to let just anyone shoot gunfighter. 

Anyone can shoot gunfighter. They just have to register themself in a category that allows it.

1 hour ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

There's no logical rationale for the prohibition. Those unable to shoot Gunfighter appear to be threatened by those that can1 :(

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Are they still doing that? I've heard of it too.

In 1999, at an annual match, I saw someone shooting GF that scared me. He was very old and used very hot loads. The recoil made his revolvers point straight up. If he was allowed to shoot, I can't imagine anyone else being denied.

None of the clubs here in East TX have this silly requirement.

Several years ago a local club created a category where you had to shoot 2 stages two handed, 2 stages duelist, and 2 stages gunfighter. Several os us that had been shooting for only a few years signed up as well as some very experienced shooters.. We had a blast. Don't know who had the biggest train wrecks. Those shooting gunfighter and duelist for the first time or the long time duelist shooters having to use both hands. 

I would have never switched to duelist were it not for this unofficial category. Made me a better shooter by switching.and it allowed me to develop an interest in Frontiersman.

Another plus was that a couple people took up shooting gunfighter.

I have a match every second Wednesday of the month. We shoot only one category at this match and we call it the Wild West Category. You can shoot any SASS legal firearm in any style at any time without penalty. It's great. Gives people a chance to try different styles and firearms combinations.

I always ask the Match Director it is OK to shoot Gunfighter in my age based category. I have yet to be turned down.

29 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

I always ask the Match Director it is OK to shoot Gunfighter in my age based category. I have yet to be turned down.

You should be turned down...What makes you think that you deserve these unique accommodations???

Phantom

On 6/19/2020 at 1:40 PM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

It takes practice.

...and where the holster is located on the belt.

REF: the "demo" videos in the above linked 2013 discussion thread.

Those were presented to prove that Cav/twist-draw is not inherently unsafe.

(previously, that style of draw was legal in all categories EXCEPT Gunfighter)

On 6/19/2020 at 12:41 PM, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

@PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L I enjoyed your videos, found them on Youtube.  In the 2013 thread John Boy said that the videos were made into a sticky.  I don't see it now, was that something that didn't transition with the site's update since then?  Any thoughts to re-post it as a sticky?  

35 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L I enjoyed your videos, found them on YouTube.  In the 2013 thread John Boy said that the videos were made into a sticky.  I don't see it now, was that something that didn't transition with the site's update since then?  Any thoughts to re-post it as a sticky?  

Thank you.

Generally, "pinned" posts on the Wire have an expiration date, particularly those pertaining to rule changes & clarifications.
Once the change/clarification is codified in the SHB, those types of posts are "unpinned" and archived.

The YouTube videos were created relevant to a proposed rule change (finalized in 2015), but can still be located by a YouTube search.
There is also a "live link" to the video playlist in the SASS 2015 TG Summit Agenda .

The Territorial Governors' "YES" vote can be found in the TG Summit Minutes Dec 2015 (Item #3)

Archived