SASS Wire Forum

Steel Targets

what are your recommendations for acquiring shotgun, rifle and pistol targets?  Minimum size would be at least 20".  Shotgun targets would be knockdown.  I am looking to set up three stages, so would want 12 shotgun, 12 rifle and pistol.  Everything that I google comes up smaller, so help me out.

Thanks

Arkansasharper  33169

While we have knock-down shotgun target, our posses also uses  "Swinging" shotgun targets. Saves having to reset the knockdowns.

Cheaper and quicker to make up, set-up and maintain. 

You can see two in the centre of the photo, the grey bell shaped targets on the range floor.

IMG_0214.JPG

See if you can find a company near you that armors private vehicles.

Next option is to talk to a steel supplier and see what they will charge to order you sheets of AR-500 steel and cut it into squares of your desired size. Find out the dimensions of the raw plates and come up with a layout that makes the best use with the fewest cuts. For example a 4X8 sheet works best cut into 16" squares yielding 12 targets per sheet.

What various size targets for each stage do you recommend?

Cat Brules

Are you looking for home range or for a club?  What are you going to be shooting at them with?  If just lead at Cowboy velocity, you don't need AR plate.  I go to local steel suppliers.  Often they have pieces they refer to as "drops."  These are pieces cut out of other projects and would be scrap.  I like 3/8" but will use 1/4" if it's a good deal.  Right now I have a set of 1/4" X 16" round steel plates that have been in use for 4 years.  I just added a set of 16" square plates.  I use smaller plates swinging on hooks that allow them to reset as shotgun knockdowns.  This is for a home range only.  I would go with the AR plate if you are going to be setting up a range that is going to take more use than a home range.

Squares, diamonds, and rectangles don't waste material. Fancy shapes take more material with less target area. Large targets will cup and need to be pressed flat or turned over occasionally. 16 x 16 squares are what I'd consider the ultimate size. They can be cut evenly out of a 4 x 4 or 4x 8 sheet of steel. And, they don't cup. I use AR500. All of our targets are cut on a plasma table. Buy once cry once.

Archived