SASS Wire Forum

Seems a Primer Shortage is back among us

Uh Oh!

I need to scramble and see what I have out there!  :huh:   :unsure:

Cat Brules

Looks like Grafs is out of about everything. 

But MidwayUSA still has a good many choices. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/primers/br?cid=17587

We're pleanty good on primers.  But Sawmill Mary was shooting 38s that took small primers.   But then switched to 44WCF on everything.  I normally shoot calibers that take large primers.   So we're using up large primers 10 to 1 of small primers.  

Local stores have a few, but as noted...prices are up.  Powder valley had a fair supply last week.  Midsouth Shooting Supply seems to get quite a few in.  

I picked up a few thousand from a fellow reloader who had more than he'll ever use.  I now have more large rifle primers than I'll use in this lifetime, and am pretty well set on pistol primers for the foreseeable future .  I could use a few more small rifle. 

My LGS and range has a bunch of Winchester primers, I've been ignoring them but maybe I better buy what they have and take my chances. They work fine in my Colts or Ubertis. I've had a few issues with my 73 but they do alright in my 66.

And here I thought it was just me noticing the lack of primers.

I may have to suck up the hazmat and shipping fees and order from Midway.

That sucks.

I didn't realize there was a shortage again til I went to buy a pound of Red Dot a couple weeks ago. Among the five stores in town that sell powder, I finally found one... ONE. 

Powder & primers are getting pretty dang scarce again.

Primers & caps, I'm good... 

There are more up in my house, but you're limited to 10,000 in a residence, so ya gotta spread 'em out among the outbuildings - no more than 200,000 per storage cabinet. ;)

Primers01.jpg

8 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I didn't realize there was a shortage again til I went to buy a pound of Red Dot a couple weeks ago. Among the five stores in town that sell powder, I finally found one... ONE. 

There are more up in my house, but you're limited to 10,000 in a residence, so ya gotta spread 'em out among the outbuildings - no more than 200,000 per storage cabinet. ;)

Primers01.jpg

Now we know why there is a shortage!  Where’s you toilet paper stash?

I just picked up 1000 Federals yesterday and found I had another 1000 Wins. That brings me up to 5000, I only reload for cowboy shooting.

43 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I just picked up 1000 Federals yesterday and found I had another 1000 Wins. That brings me up to 5000, I only reload for cowboy shooting.

I get extremely nervous when I get below 5K on any type of primer I stock.  Shotgun, large rifle, large pistol, small rifle, small pistol.  I am down to a little over 1k on percussion caps.   

Buy some from the vendors at your matches, even if they are a couple of bucks higher.  Support those who care about CAS.

On 6/18/2020 at 10:00 AM, Three Foot Johnson said:

Primers01.jpg

Seems odd to have drawer handles on the bottom of the shelves...

Sportsman' Warehouse is still running a $22 brick price for Federal 209A.
Their pistol primers are not that cheap.. on a par with typical internet pricing, but no hazmat or shipping fees.

I never see 1000 count bricks of primers at the gunstores in my area unless they are very high priced. I'm not talking only a couple of bucks either. Pretty much forced to buy them online.

I bought a used handgun via private party here in California. Did the transfer at the sellers choice gunstore and while there bought a 4 pound jug of powder to give them a little extra business for doing the transfer. 

Looks like MidwayUSA has ran out of primers.  

I have my birthday discount coming up and nothing really important to use it on. I thought of getting another 1k of large pistol ptimers.  Unless they restock,  I guess that's not an option. 

On 6/19/2020 at 6:44 PM, bgavin said:

Sportsman' Warehouse is still running a $22 brick price for Federal 209A.
Their pistol primers are not that cheap.. on a par with typical internet pricing, but no hazmat or shipping fees.

As soon as I read this a couple of hours ago , went and checked my supply. Pretty low , so got online to Sportsman's Warehouse to order some. Lo and behold , all shotshell primers were "out of stock".  Good thing I have several hundred rounds loaded , but it is still a PITA to deal with these shortages. Doesn't matter how good the price is if they don't have any.:P

Rex :D

I'm on the S.W. mailing list.
Twice now, they offered a sale on 209A.
They list them as "100 count" so you just order 10, and then give you a brick.

I recently did some workstation recovery for a client's business machine.
She is recently widowed and offered to pay me in primers.
I, of course... readily accepted.

I'm now the Ford Fairlane for cowboy widows...
;)

Archived