SASS Wire Forum

colt walker cartridge conversion questions?

quailbuster

New here with a few questions on a project in mind.  Looking at either converting a 2nd gen colt walker or a new (current production) uberti walker to 45 colt. I currently own neither of these. Which of these two would give a better foundation for this project as far as build quality, accuracy ect….?

I know I want to have a gated cylinder. Haven't figured out if I want a kirst or have the cap and ball cylinder reamed and cut down. I like the engraved scene on the cap and ball cylinder. Any advantages or disadvantages with either of these ideas?

I think I have seen some pictures floating around of a walker with an ejector rod setup. This interests me. Not sure if this can be bought or must be custom made? 

One of my main concerns with the 45 colt conversion in a walker is the jump that the bullet must make to the throat of the barrel. The cylinder length is massive ( 2-7/16" or 2.440")  For those that have done this conversion, exactly how much jump is there using standard out of the box loads (1.600" length 45 colt)? 

My main concern is accuracy. How accurate can these converted walkers be? What (if anything) can be done to make them more accurate? 

I like the walker for its sheer size and character. My main goal is to have a very accurate converted walker with lots of character. 

Thanks for any help. 

I have both a converted Dragoon and a Walker.   The Walker is an Uberti, and I went with a Kirst gated conversion.   Accuracy is good, and you can run black or smokeless in them at your discretion.   As far as I know, nobody makes an ejector.   I also know of no one who is taking the original cap and ball cylinders and converting them, and if they did, they'd be in .44 Colt, not .45 Colt, and you'd have to use heeled bullets.   

My Dragoon is a Second Gen Colt, and for that reason I did not cut the frame and went with the other kind of cylinder, and I had to send the gun to the maker so they could custom fit it, because the 2 and 3 gen Colts don't have the same dimensions as the current production Uberties.   Going with the Italian one will absolutely cost you less money, and that it what I'd recommend.

Here's a video of me shooting my converted Walker...

Contact Gary Barnes. This is his bread and butter. He has developed many products for the conversion market and offers custom gunsmithing to fit your every whim. He has a proprietary cartridge for Walkers and Dragoons called the 45-60-250 Brimstone,  based on the 460 Smith and Wesson cartridge. 

http://cartridgeconversion.com/

46 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Contact Gary Barnes. This is his bread and butter. He has developed many products for the conversion market and offers custom gunsmithing to fit your every whim. He has a proprietary cartridge for Walkers and Dragoons called the 45-60-250 Brimstone,  based on the 460 Smith and Wesson cartridge. 

http://cartridgeconversion.com/

The e-mail on his website bounces.

I wonder if that cartridge is anything like .45 Black Powder Magnum?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Black_Powder_Magnum

Maybe he changed his email and didn't update is website. He is current on Facebook, try him there. With what I know that cartridge looks very similiar. Gary's loading is lie it says, a 45 caliber bullet with 60 grains of BP pushing a 250gr slug. 

https://www.facebook.com/cartridgeconversion/

2nd gen Colt Walker Conversion .45 Colt cal. using the original cylinder, barrel was not lined.

The objective of this conversion was to replicate the Walker conversion documented at the CT State Library.

One of the issues during the making: each and every dia of the 6 chambers wof the percussion cylinder was different, most were oversize up to .457"

Long Johns Wolf

1-P1010216.JPG

1-Schußbild.jpg

1-P1010227.JPG

3 hours ago, Long Johns Wolf said:

2nd gen Colt Walker Conversion .45 Colt cal. using the original cylinder, barrel was not lined.

The objective of this conversion was to replicate the Walker conversion documented at the CT State Library.

One of the issues during the making: each and every dia of the 6 chambers wof the percussion cylinder was different, most were oversize up to .457"

Long Johns Wolf

1-P1010216.JPG

1-Schußbild.jpg

1-P1010227.JPG

That’s absolutely beautiful! That’s exactly what I am wanting. 

I had the beast made because I just wanted a good looking Walker conversion in .45 Colt and as back-up pistol for CAS.

Only feed her with nitro cartridges.

If I were do it again today I would take a Uberti Walker from current production as project pistol, not a 2nd gen Colt.

Long Johns Wofl

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I want 2.  I've always kinda wanted this but I wasn't sure anyone did a conversion and never got around to looking into it. 

Now I know.  Now I just need to decide if I want dragoons or walkers.  First. 

Try one of each.   I have an Uberti Walker and 2nd Gen Colt Dragoon.   The Walker I cut for a loading gate.   The Dragoon I got the cap type conversion cylinder, no cutting required.

Just make sure that your pants, and your gunbelt, are tight.   Get two Walker holsters; the Dragoon will fit in it just fine.  That way you can try each pistol on each side of your hip and decide which way you prefer it.

1 hour ago, quailbuster said:

I need to find someone who can do this kind of quality work. 

I gave you the contact of a person that does this quality work.

On 6/19/2020 at 4:57 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Try one of each.   I have an Uberti Walker and 2nd Gen Colt Dragoon.   The Walker I cut for a loading gate.   The Dragoon I got the cap type conversion cylinder, no cutting required.

Just make sure that your pants, and your gunbelt, are tight.   Get two Walker holsters; the Dragoon will fit in it just fine.  That way you can try each pistol on each side of your hip and decide which way you prefer it.

No all my single actions have to be pairs now. 

I need to hold a walker an a dragoon in my hands.  Walkers might be too big. 

"No all my single actions have to be pairs now."

Why?  I mean, if you want them to be, sure, more power to you.   But WHY to do assert that the HAVE to be pairs?   I find shooting mismatched revolvers can be a lot of fun.

"I need to hold a walker an a dragoon in my hands.  Walkers might be too big." 

No argument there, Walkers ARE big.  [See above video link.]   But in all truth, so are Dragoons.   They are only slightly smaller. 

Here's a Walker and a Dragoon for comparison...

582248642_WalkerandDragoon.thumb.jpg.7b1b4547151a6c62d92514dab3c72794.jpg

For scale, here's a Walker and twelve inch Colt Buntline...

WalkerBuntline.thumb.jpg.a2fe1b9e5716d4ab619be94b93729d4e.jpg

And for giggles, it's fun to pair the two nickeled revolvers in this picture...

516408421_123.thumb.JPG.a500617c19723c772818d16c0d7a5669.JPG

Pairing the two small ones is actually kinda boring... 

On 6/21/2020 at 4:07 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Why?  I mean, if you want them to be, sure, more power to you.   But WHY to do assert that the HAVE to be pairs?   I find shooting mismatched revolvers can be a lot of fun.

I'm a gunfighter.  I'm afraid I'll tip over if they aint pretty closely matched. 

On 6/21/2020 at 2:23 PM, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

You should get a pair of Walkers and then a LeMat to have as your pocket pistol.  

Seamus

I've been seriously considering getting a LeMat (I have a Walker) and using them as a pair.

Archived