SASS Wire Forum

Shadows and Stingers, Filling The Gunship Gap

Subdeacon Joe

4 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

“Puff”?

Sort of.  While the AC-47 was very effective in the gunship role, it became increasingly vulnerable as the NVA acquired more advanced anti-aircraft guns and man portable surface to air missiles.  This led to the development of the AC-130, which was even more successful in the gunship role.  However the USAF and US Army needed the C-130 in it's tactical airlift role so as an alternative the AC-119 was developed.  Since the C-119 was no longer in front line service there were plenty of airframes and spare parts available and it replaced the AC-47 and supplemented the AC-130.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_AC-119

Ok, I have a lot of useless information in my head.  Has anyone seen my keys?

My grandfather was the deputy commander of the 435th Troop Carrier Wing out of Homestead FL in the early 60s.They flew C119s.

All of my exits in Jump School were from a C119. It is a very loud aircraft. :lol:

27 minutes ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Exit out the back,UB?:blush:

No. We used the side doors. Jumped C130s off the ramp when we were using an equipment bundle.

The rear clamshell doors had to be removed from the 119 to drop cargo. Kind of a pita for the aircrew. I always wondered how they handled with the rear ended open like that.

A5516345-D767-467C-8170-D5A1FC060498.jpeg

7 hours ago, Chantry said:

Ok, I have a lot of useless information in my head.  Has anyone seen my keys?

Car keys...Someone was driving away saying thank you....House...Movers also said thank you....After they loaded everything up...Not sure which moving company they were with....Saturday Night Special, I think.....

Texas Lizard

2 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

That looks like major confusion coming out the Back end. I suppose it gets sorted out on the way down. 

Guaranteed to make it all the way to the ground.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Archived