SASS Wire Forum

BP Cartridge question

Artie Fly, SASS #25397

1 hour ago, Artie Fly, SASS #25397 said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  FYI, these are 44-40 full case loads for a slicked up Taylor's '73 carbine.  Nowadays, I am shooting mostly in central Texas, where 60% is low humidity.  It can get hot enough to melt BP lubes, so with my cap guns I use 50/50 beeswax/lard.

Abilene - I am shooting Trailhead this weekend, but not planning on Cody-Dixon.  Hope to see you there.

Not sure how often you shoot bp categories. I only shoot frontier cartridge except in the winter months when we shoot indoors and they dont allow it. Sounds like you'll be fine with that as long as you go with one of the mentioned methods at the match. I do highly recommend seasoning your bore with something like bore butter before starting the match. It does help with clean up at the end of the day IMO. I normally run the 50/50 beeswax/tallow lube also but if I know its going to be extremely hot out when a match is scheduled i'll load up ammo with 60/40 lube. I've been told to give to give a 40/40/20 (beeswax/tallow/parfin) try. It supposedly stiffens up the lube and makes it harder to melt from ambient temperatures but still coats well and keeps the fouling soft. I'm considering trying it. 

Best of luck,

Jack

2 hours ago, Artie Fly, SASS #25397 said:

ToMAAto, ToMauto, GermAne, German.  Thanks for the comic relief Phantom & Goody.

Your very welcome. And don't forget, I've seen you shoot, so I know comedy!

2 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Your very welcome. And don't forget, I've seen you shoot, so I know comedy!

You also know you can time me with an egg timer and I have 3 times more fun than the top shooter!

You are fine.  Let er rip.  Shoot them, and as you said, run a bore snake through after each stage.  I shoot real black, not substitute.  I use poly coated bullets with no lube at all.  It is just part of my routine now to give a little blast of ballistol or WD before the stage, and run a bore snake after, and my barrel is spotless at the end of the day.  Burn em up and enjoy them.

Archived