SASS Wire Forum

The New York bomber

Utah Bob #35998

No not a an Al Qaeda terrorist. A WWII Luftwaffe Plane that fortunately never made it to operational status.

Junkers 390

I don't know if it would have changed the outcome of the war but it would have surely lengthened it. We never had to worry about aerial bombardment, other than the Japanese balloon bombs during the war. Had it been successful, it would have redirected resources to protecting ourselves from the air. I can't imagine what would have resulted from both the Japanese and Germans having successful versions of this aircraft.

Thanks Bob

Suppose these planes were built in quantity.  Strategic bombing should hit the shipyards. Portsmouth, Quincy, Groton, Staten Island, Baltimore , Philadelphia, and Norfolk. Maybe a few more. Need to build in a little more range. To terrorize the public, bomb Boston, NYC, Washington, DC, Baltimore. Do the Doolittle raid thing of flying inland, bomb Philadelphia, Chicago, or St Louis, bail out and surrender if  necessary.

if it’s going to be repeatable, USA would be watching from Iceland and Greenland, and hitting them when they get close to the shore.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

No not a an Al Qaeda terrorist. A WWII Luftwaffe Plane that fortunately never made it to operational status.

Junkers 390

UB you scared the hell out of me, I saw the OP and went "oh crap, something happened while I was out running errands"  :blush:

44 minutes ago, Chantry said:

UB you scared the hell out of me, I saw the OP and went "oh crap, something happened while I was out running errands"  :blush:

Chantry,

I saw the title and thought ....

image.thumb.png.85059e5aef7a5dbc99cf2dd46e4de3c0.png

Would have resulted in the US dropping nuclear bombs on Berlin and Munich

Cat Brules

3 hours ago, Chantry said:

My first thought was that he meant The Bronx Bombers.   

Then "Wasn't there a boxer who was called the NewYork Bomber?"

When looking for that, I found https://www.britannica.com/biography/George-Metesky

Joe Louis the heavyweight boxing champion back in the 1930s(?), was nicknamed “The Brown Bomber”.

Cat Brules

From Wikipedia 

America's white press began promoting Louis' image in the context of the era's racism; nicknames they created included the "Mahogany Mauler", "Chocolate Chopper", "Coffee-Colored KO King", "Safari Sandman", and one that stuck: "The Brown Bomber"

Had Schickelgruber been a competent strategist, and had the resources been available for a large number of these to be employed, the war might have lasted longer. But without the ability to produce them in numbers sufficient to impact America’s stupendous industrial ability the eventual outcome would have been the same. I suspect the effect on. Morale would have been much the same as the Blitz was on the Brits. They just got mad and swore to fight. 

As Rick told Major Strasser, “Well, there are certain sections of NewYork, Major, that I wouldn’t advise you to try to invade”

I strongly suspect that if they would have been successful at developing that bomber there would have been a few aircraft carriers in the Atlantic set up as a picket line to intercept them.

Wolf packs vs carrier battle groups and airwings would have significantly changed the course of the war.

Given the logistics of crossing the Atlantic, doing so anywhere other than a great circle route would have increased the difficulty considerably.

There would likely have been radar outposts in Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland and the Azores.

Archived