SASS Wire Forum

MITO UPDATED! NOW WITH B-58s

Subdeacon Joe

The good ol' days.  My dad was a nuclear ordinance master on the B-52's when he was stationed at Offutt AFB in the late 60's.  I love watching those birds fly.

The last video looked like the entire fleet!

The B-52 has been in active service with the USAF since 1955. As of June 2019, 58 are in active service, 18 in reserve, and approximately 12 more aircraft in long term storage.

From Wilipedia.  I think one may have been totaled since then.

Watched a MITO demonstration at Grissom AFB during an open house. 5 KC-135's followed by a lone BUFF. Amazing to watch first hand. The air was so rough when the 52 made it's take off the outriggers were bouncing off the runway! Later they did a low slow fly over by one of the "Looking Glass" aircraft. Right down the runway centerline at about 50 feet, gear and flaps down. Followed by a 30 deg climb out. I miss those shows at Grissom!

When I was in the Air Force and with SAC....That was 66 to 69 I would see this first hand....Fun to watch....And yes it can raise your heart rate up...

Texas Lizard

Bombing radar and computer, and navigation computer...And not used today much terrain avoidance computer....At the time they thought low level flying would be the thing....

I'm an Architect and I was doing a lot of base upgrade projects at March AFB,Riverside Calif. This in the ate 80's and it was still a SAC base. Whenever one took off or landed you knew it. Great site. They closed the base as a SAC base when someone did the math and realized it was vulnerable to Submarine missile attacks! No joke. It became a refueling station and F-16 base.Then basically closed after that. 

Archived