SASS Wire Forum

WTB: Two Dummy Rounds; 56/50 Spencer/Taylor

Palouse

Want to buy, beg, or trade for 2 or more dummy rounds in 56-50 Spencer in the Taylor format.

Hopefully, you can make a couple of dummies based favorite loads for your Armi-Sport Spencer, using Starline brass, and one of the "standard" 320 to 380 grain lead bullets. Complete with Lizard Litter or other inert filler, and a fired primer is great.

I'm taking bore and chamber measurement, and cleaning up trigger and some burrs before investing in dies and molds. It would be nice to have the dummy cartridges to check function initially.

Thanks.

I strongly suggest you google Spencer Shooting Society and read the info in their pages. Lots of info on how to set up and tune a Taylor's Spencer as well as an original converted from rim fire to center fire.

Not all Spencer rifles will like the same bullet profile or cartridge OAL.  Mine happens to like 1.6 OAL. Others may like a little longer or shorter OAL. Because the original rifles were rimfire they could use a relatively pointed bullet. The action was designed to use thei bullet and it cycles them really well. However, with the transition to centerfire it takes some experimentation to find a RNFP bullet profile and OAL that will cycle reliably.

I found that mine likes a 1.6 OAL and an Accurate Moulds 51-350S bullet. I have a RCBS mould (50-350-CM) and while the rifle will cycle them it is no where near as smooth as it is with the 51-350S

Yep.  That's my point.  :D :FlagAm:

Have any dummy cartridges?

Hey brother,   if you've got a few brass I'll run you up a few die dummies.  Send whatever # that you want, I'll load them and send them back.

I've converted all my Taylor's / Spencer brass to fit my 56-46 bottleneck Military Chamber in my 1867 Spencer Sporting Rifle. 

If I hadn't I'd just send some.

Still got dies and bullets that I've not yet remelted.  PM me and we'll get it done.

Archived