SASS Wire Forum

Baseball

Rye Miles #13621

I've heard so many back and forth stories about 72 games, 50 games, players want more money, owners are cheap, revenue sharing etc etc blah blah blah

So who do you blame for this, Owners or players? What have you heard? If we can't watch baseball I guess we can talk about it! I'm not sure who to blame, I think both sides are looking out for themselves as in any negotiations between unions and owners. 

What say you? 

Baseball lost me as a serious fan years ago. Too much squabbling among zillionaires  and nobody caring about the fans.

I still enjoy a game or three per year, mostly in minor league parks when I travel. Nobody on that field is a greedy zillionaire. 

19 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

So who do you blame for this, Owners or players?

All of the above. They’re playing tough with each other, and fans will be the big losers. 

I have been a baseball fan my entire life. I truly love the game, with all of it’s faults and imperfections. I, for one am not just disappointed that the player’s association rejected the latest proposal from the owners, I am angry. I am angry that two sides who have more money between them than most countries in the world, can’t put their greed aside for 52 damn games so that THE FANS (remember them?) can enjoy watching the game that they love so much. We do need a diversion from the insanity that is engulfing our Country right now. But, let’s look at the long term effects of the loss of this season. 
Baseball is a little too cerebral for a number of people today. They want to watch sports with physical contact; more ‘ action’ they say. As a result, baseball has taken a back seat to football, hockey, lacrosse, basketball and even soccer. Baseball has lost a lot of fans/potential fans because of things like the player’s strike of 1994, the steroid scandals and the outlandish salaries that are paid to people who play a game for a living. Huge salaries exist in other sports as well, but we’re talking about baseball right now.

I fear that if the two sides can’t come to terms over a measly 52-game season for the sake of the fans, then baseball may be done. They’ll have priced themselves right out of existence. It would be a shame, not only for the true fans of the game, but for a nation that one called the game ‘our national pastime’. 
Just one more nail in the coffin of life as we’ve known it.

Sorry for the rant.

Baseball is bigger than MLB.  There is Little League ( fun despite some coaches and parents) American Legion ball, high school and college ball, and leagues like the Grip and Rip League in Ozark, Missouri where adults play for love of the game.  If the major league show isn’t playing, the game can still be enjoyed somewhere near you.

I’ve pretty much given up caring about any sport but CAS. 

Even the Cape Cod Baseball League, which features some of the most promising college players from across the country, has cancelled its 2020 season.  Watching games on a warm summer evening, with the ocean breeze blowing in from Falmouth Harbor, is as close to Field of Dreams as you can get in this part of the world.  Fingers crossed for next year.

LL

Sportsball doesnt even catch my attention anymore.

Millionaires complaining about their worth to play a game while their key demographic is increasingly priced out of the stadium.  Parking, Programs, Hot dogs, PopCorn, Sodas, and I almost forgot - a decent seat.  Nothing is cheap - the average ticket price around the country is already north of 30 bucks - who knows what it will be when the stadiums reopen.  10 bucks for 50 cents worth of soda and .99 cents worth of hot dog, a program costs 10 bucks, parking is getting close to 20 bucks...   A family of four is going to dump at least 200 bucks to go to a game these days and we are supposed to accept that the players aren't getting a fair days wage for the all the hard work that they do.

This is all money spent hoping that I can go to a game and enjoy the experience without having to entertain a players desire to "make his statement"

I didn't go to sportsball events to get my dose of wokeness - I go to "events" to get away from that crap - not so the athletes can enlighten me with their activism.  Enough is enough - I'll be in my yard playing with my dog.  Maybe I'll be in the garage fixing something that isnt broke - maybe I'll be outside washing my car - or, maybe I'll be at the range shooting some random type of firearm - one place I wont be - the Sportsball stadium. 

Not any more.

I still like MLB (I think), but Texas high school football can easily replace the NFL, without blinking.  Much more exciting and concessions/game tickets are cheaper.

MLB will have to apply, over time, a whole tub of Chapstick onto their collective nose before I regain interest and watch them again!  And then, only if they (players and agents especially, but owners and lawyers, too) get their heads and their asses wired together!  I’ve had it!  I don’t know why their nonsense is even being reported on anymore.  Anymore, I would rather watch reruns of the Chantix commercials with the turkey instead of MLB.

Cat Brules

19 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

MLB will have to apply, over time, a whole tub of Chapstick onto their collective nose before I regain interest and watch them again!  And then, only if they (players and agents especially, but owners and lawyers, too) get their heads and their asses wired together!  I’ve had it!  I don’t know why their nonsense is even being reported on anymore.  Anymore, I would rather watch reruns of the Chantix commercials with the turkey instead of MLB.

Cat Brules

NO PLEASE not the Chantax turkey!! He's worse than the Liberty EMU!!

Today's update, according to Manfred the MLB commish, there's probably not going to be any baseball!:(

On 6/15/2020 at 5:02 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

NO PLEASE not the Chantax turkey!! He's worse than the Liberty EMU!!

I donno, Rye. I kinda like the EMU. But then again the Chantax Turkey is a turkey. 

So I guess the Cards will have to wait to beat the tribe. :rolleyes:

About the only thing I watch is some SEC football.  Professional sports don't interest me at all.  

I also like watching some of the Olympic sports and that crazy motorcycle race on the Isle of Mann.  

I got to watch one of my g'sons play two LL scrimmages and his shortened LL season starts next week. All his LL games start at 7 p.m., so they are played under the lights. Nothing better than a night game.  Travel team plays in tourney this week-end. Play 6 of the next 8 week-ends. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

I read today that 6 owners are against playing this year, cancel the season they said! Maybe 8 but 6 for sure.:(

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/several-mlb-owners-dont-want-2020-season

I don't "watch"* baseball anymore.  I am not optimistic about there being a season this year and the players and owners need a reality check if they can't grow up and behave like adults. 

The longer this drags out the worse both sides look and to see a bunch of rich owners and players arguing over money when a lot of the fans are wondering if they will be able to pay the bills this month because they aren't working due to Covid-19 is incredibly selfish.  The fans will remember this and teams and players are not going to be remembered fondly.

*I'l read the NY Post to see how the Yankees did and maybe watch some of the highlights on YouTube if something really interesting happened.  No cable, no dish, no reception and I don't miss any of it.

Archived