SASS Wire Forum

I wonder is this is standard rough field piloting tactics

Alpo

Or if Cussler was a Tarzan fan.

Couple days ago I read ICEBERG - Dirk Pitt #2, 1975. They are in Iceland. In a Ford tri-motor. Taking off from a pasture. They are about to run out of field. There is a fence coming up. The pilot pulls back on stick, and she comes off the ground but not enough to clear the fence. He pushes forward, and just as the wheels are hitting he pulls pack. And BOUNCES over the fence.

Oookaaaay.

Today I am reading TARZAN'S QUEST, 1935. They are taking off from an open field in Africa. It is full of rocks, so as they are gaining takeoff speed the pilot is having to dodge the rocks. There's one in front of them too big to go around. He pulled back on the stick. It comes off the ground but he will not clear. He pushes down and then pulls back again and BOUNCES over the rock.

Boy that sounded familiar.

I had an instructor who taught our small class how to "safely?" crash-land a non-functioning light aircraft in trees and have a good chance of walking away.

Really good pilots have done some pretty amazing things.

I ain't among that group and never will be.

Try autorotation of a chopper, AT NIGHT:o

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

One who understands his/her plane can use bouncing and other techniques to clear obstacles while gaining airspeed. 

One needs to have faith in ones landing hear for sure. ;’

2 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Speakest Thou from experience?

Mine was uncomfortable but not too bad due to a very good pilot, thank goodness. Not at night though. I wonder it that would have been worse, or better?

Never bounced a light aircraft to get over an obstacle.  But a technique that I did do with Cessna 150's and 172's (back when the flap deployment was mechanical and NOT electric or hydraulic, was to pull full flap and shove the nose down to gain both lift and airspeed.  Then you had to ease the flaps up slowly.  :o

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Mine was uncomfortable but not too bad due to a very good pilot, thank goodness. Not at night though. I wonder it that would have been worse, or better?

Depth perception is a lot different at night. You can see tree tops and ground during the day. Night, a bit of a different story. Takes a lot of night practice to get that one lucky break if forced to do it at night. Ain't no fun during day light, nighttime:o

I remember bouncing in a C-119. It was during landing and after we finally stopped the pilot said, "%$#@&, the runway came up faster than I expected."

I felt like telling him the runway wasn't moving up or down, it was us. But since I had to fly with him tomorrow I (for once) kept my mouth shut.

Archived