SASS Wire Forum

Quite a weekend

Doc Shapiro

Friday afternoon I was talking with a fellow shooter about the Saturday match.  There was a wildfire on the way to the range that was over 4000 acres.  Several road closures.  We were debating cancelling.  My wife and daughter went for a walk about 7.  Meanwhile, the conversations regarding the match continued.  About 8:30 my phone rang.  My wife said that they found a stray dog and were bringing it home.  I secured our canines (our pit bull doesn't always get along with other dogs), and she brought it in.  All was well with the meet and greet.  However, she had an event planned for Saturday and couldn't miss it.  So I called my shooter friend up and told him I wouldn't make the match as we had a stray that needed to get home.

Posted a bunch of "found dog" notices, both at the site and online.  Called the SPCA shelter and they had me fill out a "found dog" form on their web site.  We took a ride down to where the dog was found and asked a bunch of folks if they recognized the dog.  Went out to where they found it looking for "lost dog" notices.  Nothing turned up.

Meanwhile, this husky/Australian shepherd mix just played and played with our husky.  Ran around the yard, wrestled, and just had a ball.  They got along great!  Even our finicky pit got involved.  This morning I was starting to wonder if we had a 3rd dog as we hadn't been contacted.

About 1:30 this afternoon I received an email from someone.  Her parents lost their dog late Friday afternoon, right near where this stray was found. She saw one of the "found dog" notices I had posted.  I called and talked to the dog mom, and she described him to a "T".  So we met at a local parking lot and was able to gEt the dog back with his family.  They were an elderly couple and just devastated about their lost dog.  Apparently, he took off after a deer.

That felt great.  But I'm going to miss that playful goof ball with 2 different colored eyes.

Doc

SUCCESS!

Good on YOU for efforts!

Cat Brules

Archived