SASS Wire Forum

Slix shotshell checker/sizer Question

Abilene, SASS # 27489

I just got one of these (and was prompted to write my alias on it with a sharpie and cover that with clear tape since someone else recently mentioned losing theirs).

First box of AA LNLR had a number of shells that didn't fall all the way in, so I did the sizer thing which worked fine.  Here is my question:

Do any of you take a bunch of shells (a box up to a case or whatever) and check/size them ahead of time, or do you do it just before using them, say at your cart or the morning of the match?  I'm curious if shells that needed some sizing will stay within spec over time or if they will start to swell again later?  It would be nice to just run through a bunch of them, marking the boxes when checked.  But I wouldn't do it if they might need it again later.  I know I can find out the answer myself by rechecking them later, but possibly someone out there has already done this?

1 minute ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I check mine ahead of time, but if they need the sizer they go into the practice box. I think if you're going to use the sizer it needs to be done right before you shoot....

Randy

I agree. I keep mine next to my shotgun shells in the gun cart and check each round before I put it in my belt. It has cut down on the number of stuck hulls to almost non existent in my SxS. 

I check mine before I box them and then before I put them into my belt I do find some that  checked fine when 

boxed and not when putting them in the belt    they seem to swell in the heat is what I think.  (All mine are loaded with 

BP sub.)

The night before a match, I check all of the SG shells for split heads or tubes, and run all of them back through the crimp die.  I hold the crimp die down for a couple seconds to thoroughly set the plastic memory.   Then I pass them through a MEC Super Sizer (both ends) that is set to maximum compression.  The bottom of the super Sizer has a recess for the shell rim, so when I size the shot end, I hold them out about 1/2".  Then they get a quick spray over with Hornady One Shot, then into the boxes.  I hang the SLIX tool on my cart and final check each round as they go into my belt.  I also take twenty seconds to clean the SG chambers after every other stage. 

People give me a hard time about being so compulsive, but I haven't ever experienced a single stuck case, since I began using this protocol, and shooting a tightly chambered BS/S.  

I figure if I'm  going to spend the time and cost to play this game, it's stoopid (to use someone else's word) to take any chance at all on stuck hulls that destroy stage times.  Stuck hull prevention is one issue that a shooter can actually guarantee in advance of the timer beep.  

They will expand back over time. I used to check and resize before boxing them up. Always had to resize several, so just have up doing it twice. Now we just do it when filling belt.

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Abilene, are they sticking at the metal base or at the crimp?

Slim, at first I wondered, but it would have to be the crimp because you can only get the front part of the shotshell into the sizer end, and after that it drops all the way in to the checker.   

Thanks for the replies, pards.  Sounds like I need to do it just before shooting to be sure.  These are factory loads, I haven't even tried any of my BP reloads in the checker yet, but those stick less than the AA's anyway! :)  For the past bunch of matches, I've averaged 1 to 2 hulls sticking, so it shouldn't take long to see if this fixes that problem.

BTW, on the subject of AA QC issues, yesterday at a match Scooter showed me a new AA that had the brass split completely down the side and spreading out from the plastic body.  He said there were 2 in the box like that.

3 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I check mine ahead of time, but if they need the sizer they go into the practice box. I think if you're going to use the sizer it needs to be done right before you shoot....

Randy

Ahh yes, the "P" Word.  I've heard of it.  :)

Winchester AA are becoming infamous for their bad sizing over the years.

Every NEW round is run through the case checker and resized if possible.

Reloaded ammo is checked before it goes into the box.

I recheck all my ammo on the Range with a checker and resizer I got from Ole #4

It's a good idea to drop all your shells into a sizing gauge before the match. I rarely find any of my MEC 9000 reloaded shells to have a size problem. I also find very few new Remington shells to have a problem. The vast majority of sizing problems that we have had came from Winchester AA Feather Lights. We don't shoot many of them,  but I had a couple cases that I bought when Walmart was clearing them out for $5 a box. I do like the results of the Slick X Taper Tool. I believe that it provides a little extra margin of confidence to shot shells, especially to cases that have been loaded a few times. It does a good job of smoothing out the edges of the crimp and providing just a slight tapper to the case. You do need strong hand however if you are gong to do many shells at a time. My old messed up hands can only do a box at a time before they start to hurt. 

Snakebite

Great Tool........Remington STS Green hulls......Hulls are super sized during deprime......1st purge Sizer checked and adjusted after reloading.....2nd purge Night before

shoot.....Before going into belt.....I bought first version just sized...2nd version has built in full sheel check feature...Great Tool....

Regards

Texas Red

Archived