SASS Wire Forum

chewed rims on brass with Rossi .38/.357

Go West

I never see any posts about the extractor on a Rossi .38/.357 chewing up the rims. I'm talking about the outer edges which have gotten noticeable running dummies. Do you smooth the leading edges to reduce or just not worry about? My '73 doesn't do this, but understand the action is completely different. That one does have a smoothed extractor leading edge.

I didn't see any metal-toothed "Jaws" rodents, but who knows? Do I dare round the corners of the extractor or thin the spring more to reduce the pressure snapping over the rim?

2 hours ago, Go West said:

I never see any posts about the extractor on a Rossi .38/.357 chewing up the rims. I'm talking about the outer edges which have gotten noticeable running dummies. Do you smooth the leading edges to reduce or just not worry about? My '73 doesn't do this, but understand the action is completely different. That one does have a smoothed extractor leading edge.

Are these brass dummy rounds made from actual cartridges or A-zoom aluminum dummy rounds?

6 hours ago, Go West said:

I didn't see any metal-toothed "Jaws" rodents, but who knows? Do I dare round the corners of the extractor or thin the spring more to reduce the pressure snapping over the rim?

Advice:

Be careful about filing or polishing, or otherwise removain’t any metal unless you know, or have some definitive answer as to what the problem is and how to correct it.

In the mean time, you may wish to consider that the “problem” apparently becomes noticeable only when you repetitively cycle dummy “practice” rounds through your gun.  I.e., the issue isn’t problematic when you are normally shooting, so it isn’t really a “P1” problem.  Therefore, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,” unless you know for sure exactly what is causing the problem and how to fix it.

I believe you are thinking about putting a file only to replaceable parts, but, Per OLG:  “You can take metal off, but you can’t put it back on.”)

Cat Brules

Yes, they are dummies made from cartridges. Maybe I have too much time on my hands being shut in due to the virus.

Archived