SASS Wire Forum

I have been pondering sax

Utah Bob #35998

Specifically great solos. Like thisn.

And this

Well played, the sax is a genuine treat.

One of our marching band members, a preacher's daughter, was remarkably gifted.

I still have to laugh at Boots Randolph's intro from the stage: "Here in Nashville we have (he named the number) thousand guitars, (so many) thousand banjos, (this many) thousand mandolins ..."

He picked up his gleaming instrument and grinned ...
"And ONE Saxophone!"

Whereupon he played his now world famous Yakety Sax, which became the theme for Benny Hill and numerous animated memes!

2 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Well played, the sax is a genuine treat.

Exactly. “Well played”.

Otherwise it can be painful to hear. :lol:

My personal favorite. For me, it doesn't get any better. My father-in-law was a huge fan and introduced me to the music of Dave Brubeck, and jazz in general. Thanks, Bruce.

I can never remember the name of this so I search "sax solo" and hit the video tab.

A weirdness today - as I was scrolling through the videos from that search one of them was today's Matins for All Saints of America at our sister parish in San Anselmo CA.  HOW the heck did that turn up in a search for sax solo?

What I’m talking about mainly is not a sax performance but a sax solo within a rock or rhythm & blues number. It’s always great to hear some sudden wailing for a couple of bars. :wub:

I played clarinet in the band. Now the clarinet can give you some nice mellow tones, even with a novice. But the sax! The sax section was right across the aisle from me. Took about 2 years before most of the sounds from them were less like a cat being murdered by a goose and more like a musical instrument.
A great sax player should be respected and celebrated. It ain’t an easy tool.

This reminds me of a bitter/sweet memory. 

In the mid-1990's, I had given my parents a cassette gospel album, "Sunday Saxes."  The both loved it.

In the late 1990's, Dad developed that despicable Alzheimer's disease.  As the disease progressed Dad would become more easily agitated.  Mom told me that when Dad would get agitated, she'd put on that album "Sunday Saxes" and Dad would calm down, start to smile, and tell Mom, "Honey, we're going to have such a good time in Heaven."

Like jazz?  :)

Jessica Arrelano, "Jessy J" ~ (not to be confused with "Jessie J!")

Marvelous musician, she actually has a music degree from USC.  Terrific personality, too.  :blush:

Had to toss this in... Sassparilla Kid and Jessy, in her dressing room after a concert she did with Gerald Albright and Peter White.  This was '08, the summer between the Kid's sophomore and junior high school years.  

420389424_RyandJessyJ.JPG.51b128a8265bbaf98c83e379d03c7a78.JPG

Wayne Shorter has always been my favorite sax player his solo in Steely Dan's Aja along with a drum solo by Steve Gadd is awesome! It takes a while to get to the solo but I think you'll enjoy the whole song; One of my all time favorite tunes! Sax and drum solo starts around 4:42

I started playing alto sax in junior high school and switched to tenor in high school...same teacher in both schools.  He said I played like Tex Beneke (SP?  It's been a LONG time.).  I bought a Selmer tenor when I switched and found  a Golden Tone mouth piece for it a few days later.

I gave it up when I went to college and got involved in too many other things.  Finally sold it when I joined the Army.

My dad was a Jimmy Dorsey fan so I ended up with the licorice stick. Quit the school band when I discovered girls, and switched to guitar.  Chicks dig guitarists. :D

582ACA62-D994-4F23-9F12-E93339DA4411.jpeg

Lots of great sax players out there.  One of my favorites is currently playing sax for Chicago.  His name is Ray Herrmann.  I went to undergrad with Ray and we played together in the university's big band.  

1979 Illinois Wesleyan University Jazz Band.  That's me on trumpet over Ray's shoulder.

IWU Jazz Ray Herrmann with me in background.jpg

Another old friend and favorite is Chip McNeill.  Chip and I played together in a local big band throughout high school.  Chip spent years playing sax and arranging for Maynard Ferguson.  Today he heads the jazz program at the University of Illinois and tours with Arturo Sandoval.

5 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

My dad was a Jimmy Dorsey fan so I ended up with the licorice stick. Quit the school band when I discovered girls, and switched to guitar.  Chicks dig guitarists. :D

582ACA62-D994-4F23-9F12-E93339DA4411.jpeg

I tried a guitar but was notably gawd-awful at it.  It seemed I needed more fingers than I had.

On 6/14/2020 at 10:00 AM, DocWard said:

My personal favorite. For me, it doesn't get any better. My father-in-law was a huge fan and introduced me to the music of Dave Brubeck, and jazz in general. Thanks, Bruce.

Paul Desmond was the sax artist with the Dave Brubeck Qs, and wrote/performed “Take Five”, one of my faves.

On 6/14/2020 at 3:22 AM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Specifically great solos. Like thisn.

Family Ties used one of his songs (he sang) for the background romance music for Alex P. Keaton’s scenes with whatever his girlfriend’s name was.  That was a long time ago.  They kept playing this music over and over, so I looked up the artist.

I used to play Trumpet in my grade school bands and collected LPs by:  Herb Alpert, Al Hirt, Rafael Mendez, Maynard Ferguson, Wynton Marsellis, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie,....

for sentimental reasons, I can’t sell my trumpet.  I later learned how to play the bagpipes, but at 41, it’s not the same as learning as a boy.  The fingering is more difficult.

1 minute ago, South-Eye Ned said:

Family Ties used his songs (he sang) for the background romance music for Alex P. Keaton’s scenes with whatever his girlfriend’s name was.  That was a long time ago.  They kept playing this music over and over, so I looked up the artist.

He talks about it on this video.

5 minutes ago, South-Eye Ned said:

I used to play Trumpet in my grade school bands and collected LPs by:  Herb Alpert, Al Hirt, Rafael Mendez, Maynard Ferguson, Wynton Marsellis, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie,....

for sentimental reasons, I can’t sell my trumpet.  I later learned how to play the bagpipes, but at 41, it’s not the same as learning as a boy.  The fingering is more difficult.

You oughta try a practice chanter when you’re 70. :rolleyes:
With a couple of arthritic fingers. :lol:

43 minutes ago, South-Eye Ned said:

Paul Desmond was the sax artist with the Dave Brubeck Qs, and wrote/performed “Take Five”, one of my faves.

Yes he was, and quite the artist and composer.

I started on sax in 5th grade in 1974.  Grew up listening to big band and Boots Randolph.  Added trumpet in 10th grade after I heard my firs drum&bugle corps.  Still play both.  Just played at church on Sunday as we celebrated Easter in June.  Still play at weddings, trumpet in the service and sax at the reception.  Plan to be buried one day with my trumpet mouthpiece.  Playing brought this lost man into church.

Favorite sax player is Chris Vadala (with Chuck Mangione).  

9 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

I started on sax in 5th grade in 1974.  Grew up listening to big band and Boots Randolph.  Added trumpet in 10th grade after I heard my firs drum&bugle corps.  Still play both.  Just played at church on Sunday as we celebrated Easter in June.  Still play at weddings, trumpet in the service and sax at the reception.  Plan to be buried one day with my trumpet mouthpiece.  Playing brought this lost man into church.

Favorite sax player is Chris Vadala (with Chuck Mangione).  

+++ for Chris Vadala

12 hours ago, Ozark Shark said:

+++ for Chris Vadala

Oh, yes - Chris Vadala!  I have two CM CDs.

Archived