SASS Wire Forum

Splatter

JohnWesleyHardin

On 6/14/2020 at 9:20 AM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

The Worst Targets and Stands

Among the worst targets I have encountered for spray and ricochet are round pipes suspended vertically - they are virtually guaranteed to cause spray and ricochet all over the range. Any flat target that is placed at an angle to the firing line WILL put spectators and other shooters within the spray zone. Re-bar stands, because of their textured surface, WILL send spray in unpredictable directions.

For me the worst targets are ones with a carriage bolt head on the shooter side.  I was filming Leia Tombstone (yes my wife) out to the side and she shot me in 3 places penetrating my shirt and skin and causing the above referenced shock response!  I could not understand for a moment what happened, it was as if a mule kicked me.

Fordyce

Here in Ontario, Canada, the Chief Firearms Officer has mandated that all steel targets must be shrouded.

That, with the manner in which we hang our targets, with about a bottom of target 30 degree slant toward the berm significantly reduced splatter, directing it to the ground.

The black material is old transmission belting cut to reduce the "chewing" effect of splatter on the plywood.

DSCF1976 (1).JPG

DSCF1979 (1).JPG

DSCF0043.JPG

Archived