SASS Wire Forum

Pedersoli trapdoor carbine

Trigger Mike

both of my sons love the trapdoor carbine.  I have 80 rounds of GOEX Black dawg  ammo for it and they prefer it to smokeless.  I had 100 this morning but they shot a box.  Pedersoli makes.quality weapons.  They shoot at a metal deer target 100 and 150 yards away.  They do really well with it.  

My oldest promised to clean it if I let him shoot blackpowder.  He got busy with his brother shooting my 58 remington conversions by Taylors and my Uberti 1873 rifle.   I cleaned it.   

They also did really well with a garand.   I'm trying to keep them interested in older things from our history now more than ever as society tries to erase it all.

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Such fun to slightly misread a word.

I was so jealous. "I have 80 POUNDS of Goex Black Dawg ammo..."

;)

That's what I read too!

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Such fun to slightly misread a word.

I was so jealous. "I have 80 POUNDS of Goex Black Dawg ammo..."

;)

11 minutes ago, DocWard said:

That's what I read too!

Wishful thinking~!!  :lol:

One of my favorite rifles is an old Harrington & Richardson trapdoor rifle, that they made back in the 1970's.  H & R went out of business, so the only one's you can get now are the original Springfield's, or the repro Pedersoli's. 

Never-the-less, it is so much fun to load, and shoot!  Just because it isn't lightening fast, doesn't mean it should be relegated to the safe or closet.  We need to put the fun back in our shooting sports, and this rifle is fun to load and shoot.  Let me spell that... F U N!  

I load my own black-powder rounds, and I purchased the book, on-line, that a couple put together several years ago, for loads for the trapdoor Springfield.  

If you are considering a single shot rifle, the trap-door should not be overlooked.  No, you can't shoot magnum rounds in it, like you can a highwall, or a Ruger Number One, but when shooting at a or target, or a "tin" can, or a melon, or a chicken/housecat stealing coyote, or even a deer, why do you need a magnum?   

This trapdoor was truly an investment in fun, when I bought this used H & R, many years ago.  After an evening of shooting it, in the cow pasture, my face hurts from grinning.   

My Two Bits.

W.K.

I have way over 80 POUNDS of Black Dawg 38s and 357s. Bought close to 7000 rounds from a fellow club member when he retired from shooting.. Also got 2 1/2 cases of Black Dawg 12 ga.

Save them for when I get to go to a big match. Lots of Boom, fire and smoke. 

There is one down side to them though...... They make me smile so much my face gets to hurt'n :)

Archived