SASS Wire Forum

Montado hammer on New Vaquero?

I did a "search" and found no results for my question, so here goes:  can the standard hammer on a New Vaquero be replaced with a hammer from a Montado New Vaquero?

Aravaipa Al

I should explain:  I'm looking for a hammer that is easier to cock one-handed ("gunfighter" style or "double duelist" style).  The Bisley hammer might do it, but since the grip frame on the Ruger Bisley is different from the grip frame on the "regular" New Vaqueros (including the Montados), I would think it might not work.

Just sayin'.

Jess Sain

(Aravaipa Al)

Standard Vaquero, Montado, and Super Black Hawk hammers will all fit in a New Vaquero frame. Some minor fitting may be needed to correct the timing.

AFAIK the only difference between a Montado hammer and the Super Black Hawk hammer is the grip pattern cut into the hammer spur. 

Yes, the Montado hammer will work just fine, if you can find one. They aren't available from Ruger (or anyone else I know of).

The SBH hammers are available from Midway and work great too, Have installed several sets.

Thanks, all, very helpful information.  Now, compared to the standard hammer, which one is lower (easier to reach without shifting your grip, or with minimal change in grip, on the gun), the Montado hammer, Super Black Hawk hammer, or the SASS hammer (the hammer they put on the so-called SASS revolvers)?  If the Montado and SBH hammers are the same (except the checkering pattern), what's the difference between the Montado/ SBH hammers and the SASS hammer?

Al

I replaced my standard New Model Vaquero hammers with the SBH several years go.  No fitting required on either of mine.  They are much easier to reach when shooting Gunfighter or Duelist.  If I was shooting two-handed grip, I would probably stay with the standard hammers.

Archived