SASS Wire Forum

Could I be any more ridiculous.

Went shooting today, and after I was done at the range, I was able to pick up the rest of my newest pistol.   After I got it all home and assembled, and thinking about what I did today at the shoot, [see other thread]  I realized that the new acquisition allows me to have not one but TWO batteries of guns that are someone ridiculous.   Here is "Battery 1 of ridiculousness."

RidiculousA.thumb.JPG.d0b8a0790539f19ffd1ace22ded375a0.JPG

AWA Lightning rifle in .45 Colt.   Many people will tell you shooting a Lightning is inherently ridiculous.  Especially in that caliber with an AWA.   To be truth, it's the only rifle I've ever shot a clean match with.  Three to be precise...

Chiappa Mares Leg 12 Gauge.  How is it anything but ridiculous?  Very flippy to shoot, but recoil is not unpleasant.  [It'll be back...]

AWA Lighting Bolt .45 Colt.

Chiappa 92 Mare's Leg .44 Magnum.

The sheer silliness of a Mare's Leg type pistol can't be disputed.  And here I am contemplating using two of them.  How messed up is that?

Now what could be more ridiculous than this?

How about this?

RidiculousB.thumb.JPG.552c512509bd8ce7f0f37568fe03523c.JPG

How about a real Winchester, rebarreled to .44 Magnum with a large loop lever?

But which is more ridiculous?  Inquiring minds want to know...

Now, it also occurs to me that there is a way to be even more ridiculous.   How about a revolver carbine for the rifle?  That way ALL of the guns would be against the SASS rules.   Take note of that.   The shotgun and pistols pictured here are no SASS Legal.   They are simply things to own for fun and to shoot when you can.  

You gotta laugh at things.   

Oh, by the way.   The rifle in Battery of Ridiculousness 2...   When I first bought it, unloaded, I tried spin cocking it.   I did it.   YAY.  Then I tried it again and the front sight caught my shirt, ripped it wide open and left a scratch on my chest.  [But no scar.]  I have not tried to spin cock it again.

I tried spin cocking the Mares Leg, again unloaded.  Well, I was able to spin it, but the action stayed closed and did not cock.   Odd cuz the action is not stiff or clunky at all compared to the real Winchester.  Maybe it's not heavy enough or something.     Or maybe it needs to be shot a few times to break it in.  Or maybe it's just ridiculous, and I'll leave it at that.

On 6/13/2020 at 6:19 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Now, it also occurs to me that there is a way to be even more ridiculous.   

Figure out a way to shoot gunfighter?  I wanna see when you get the lightning pistol figured out.  i do not wanna see how you do the lever pistol unless you come up with something better than spin cocking. 

How about a new in the box stainless Taurus Thunderbolt (lightning) in 45LC never been fired. Or nickel. I got to take it out and look at it again.

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Figure out a way to shoot gunfighter?  I wanna see when you get the lightning pistol figured out.  i do not wanna see how you do the lever pistol unless you come up with something better than spin cocking. 

Oddly, with it still unloaded, I did try to spin cock it.  I was able to spin the gun, but the action did not move.  I wonder if the reduced weight is not enough to open the action.   Or maybe it's just stiff and need to be fired a few times. to loosen it up.

I have learned how to one handed cock a 92, keeping the muzzle down range all the time, but it had a standard lever.   Not tried it with the big loop one.

As far as the Lighting Bolt goes...   it would have to involve juggling it from grip to pump an then cocking it like Linda Hamilton did the pump shotgun in Terminator 2, and then juggling back to the grip.   I've not tried it, and don't want to.   Especially not Gunfighter.   Maybe duelist...   

7 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Oddly, with it still unloaded, I did try to spin cock it.  I was able to spin the gun, but the action did not move.  I wonder if the reduced weight is not enough to open the action.   Or maybe it's just stiff and need to be fired a few times. to loosen it up.

I have learned how to one handed cock a 92, keeping the muzzle down range all the time, but it had a standard lever.   Not tried it with the big loop one.

As far as the Lighting Bolt goes...   it would have to involve juggling it from grip to pump an then cocking it like Linda Hamilton did the pump shotgun in Terminator 2, and then juggling back to the grip.   I've not tried it, and don't want to.   Especially not Gunfighter.   Maybe duelist...   

i tried the spin cock with my 92 when i first got it, 20" barrel... the front sight caught my leather duster and ripped a 3" hole in it and burried itself into my chest leaving a 2 inch scar... i have never tried it again...

19 hours ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Ridiculous?  Maybe.  Cool as heck?  Absolutely!

Seamus

I'm with Seamus on this one. 

H. K. one question how do you holster your "pistols"?  Or since they aren't match legal any ways that they let you have them staged.  And I commend you for at least thinking how you could shoot GF.

2 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

H. K. one question how do you holster your "pistols"?  Or since they aren't match legal any ways that they let you have them staged.  And I commend you for at least thinking how you could shoot GF.

Well, the "holster" I have for the Lightning Bolt is this one...

959518992_LightningBoltRig.thumb.JPG.c62971b3e435adbbcac6b3f782ca21f6.JPG

It came with the gun, and it works pretty good.   You cant see it in the picture, but the saddle ring hangs on a hook.  I would grab it by the pump with my right hand, swing it up so that the trigger would go into my left, and then hook it back on and swing it down into the clip with my right hand.   Oddly, while it did work pretty good for me when I picked it up, it gave me trouble at a shoot last Saturday.  It would twist and flex and "argue" with me about reclipping the gun to it.   After the shoot was over, I realized that when I first tried it, I did not strap the leg tie around my leg, so it always hung straight, but at the shoot I had the leg tie fastened, and I wonder if that might have been a factor in in the awkwardness.    That, and I'm not fat enough for the belt.  It kept falling down.   

As far as the Mares Leg goes, I don't have a holster yet, but I have one of these on order...

https://www.wmbrownholster.com/holsters-and-belts/mares-leg

It will be a left handed holster.

If I can't figure out how to deal with the difficulties of the thing for the Lightning Bolt, I may have ask them if they can make something for me for it as well.

When I came up to the line, the TO did say to me, you know you need to reholster that, right?  I just smiled and say, "I was planning to."

At that shoot, I kept saying to myself when something slowed me down, "I'm not here to be fast.  I'm here to have fun."  An I did. 

20 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Yeah I think you told us about trying to spin cock it.  The reason I didn't want to see that was because A.  The duke did it and no one will ever do it better.  And 2.  I can't condone that kinda gun handling.  Gotta keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction. 

Archived