SASS Wire Forum

A fun and silly start to the shooting season. At last...

Hey, I got to go to a shoot today.   The Mansfield Marauders put on a simple  four stage shoot, limited to 25 people and we all shot together on one big posse.   They bay was big, so we were able to keep our proper distances.   Kudos to Lesky for well written stages.   And, I had a heck of a lot of fun.   And here's how I did it...

859559252_CleanandSilly.thumb.JPG.ec24ac841dca2eadd677d4fbd79d4452.JPG

Disclaimer:  Two of the guns pictured are not SASS Legal.   So, well in advance of the match, I asked the match director if it would be okay to use them, and he said yes.   So I did.

Okay, so what you see here are my trusty AWA Lightning in .45 Colt, my recently obtained Chiappa Mare's Leg Shotgun in 12 gauge, an AWA Lightning Bolt in .45 Colt and my custom configured Big Iron, another .45.   I had FUN shooting these things today, and I got a lot of genuine curiosity questions about all of the guns.  The Chiappa is very jumpy when fired, but recoil is not bad at all.   And if you think people think a Lightning is an odd rifle, they really think a pistol version is strange.   Both guns are actually much fun to shoot, and I greatly enjoyed doing so.   One fellow even said he really wanted to try shooting them, but he never asked until everything was over, done with and put away.  Oh well.

Oh, and by the way, I shot a clean match with this battery.   That more than anything made it an outstanding day at the range.   Even if I was not fat enough for my gun belt and it kept slipping down, and on the last stage I'd fastened it around the mouth of my shotgun bag, making getting shells out of it a challenge.  But as I said many times during the shoot; I was not there to be fast today.  I was there to have fun.  Who cares if the last stage was 111 point something seconds.   I shot the match CLEAN.

Dang, I wish I could have seen it! :D

The COVID madness hasn't affected us here nearly as much as some other areas - I shot my 15th match for the year today. :)

9 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Hey, I got to go to a shoot today.   The Mansfield Marauders put on a simple  four stage shoot, limited to 25 people and we all shot together on one big posse.   They bay was big, so we were able to keep our proper distances.   Kudos to Lesky for well written stages.   And, I had a heck of a lot of fun.   And here's how I did it...

Disclaimer:  Two of the guns pictured are not SASS Legal.   So, well in advance of the match, I asked the match director if it would be okay to use them, and he said yes.   So I did.

Okay, so what you see here are my trusty AWA Lightning in .45 Colt, my recently obtained Chiappa Mare's Leg Shotgun in 12 gauge, an AWA Lightning Bolt in .45 Colt and my custom configured Big Iron, another .45.   I had FUN shooting these things today, and I got a lot of genuine curiosity questions about all of the guns.  The Chiappa is very jumpy when fired, but recoil is not bad at all.   And if you think people think a Lightning is an odd rifle, they really think a pistol version is strange.   Both guns are actually much fun to shoot, and I greatly enjoyed doing so.   One fellow even said he really wanted to try shooting them, but he never asked until everything was over, done with and put away.  Oh well.

Oh, and by the way, I shot a clean match with this battery.   That more than anything made it an outstanding day at the range.   Even if I was not fat enough for my gun belt and it kept slipping down, and on the last stage I'd fastened it around the mouth of my shotgun bag, making getting shells out of it a challenge.  But as I said many times during the shoot; I was not there to be fast today.  I was there to have fun.  Who cares if the last stage was 111 point something seconds.   I shot the match CLEAN.

I'm glad you finally got out to shoot, and even happier that you shot clean.  Did you shoot either GF or Duelist, now that would be impressive.  :D

Archived