SASS Wire Forum

Cigars

Okiepan

Ok so for those of you that indulge in tobacco products, Who chews on / smokes the authentic cigar ( circa 1840) 

Marsh Wheeling 

Comments ??

I thought Marsh Wheeling cigars have not been made for some time now....like 20 years.  Maybe that is incorrect, but I haven’t seen them for sale for a very long time.  They weren’t very expensive and were readily available.

Cat Brules

8 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

I thought Marsh Wheeling cigars have not been made for some time now....like 20 years.  Maybe that is incorrect, but I haven’t seen them for sale for a very long time.  They weren’t very expensive and were readily available.

Cat Brules

They are still available. Here’s a couple of sites. 

https://www.jrcigars.com/cigars/machine-made-cigars/marsh-wheeling/

https://www.cigars.com/marsh-wheeling

https://nationalcigar.com/marsh-wheeling-stogies-c-65_186/

I no longer indulge in tobacco. 

Last cigar I recall having was "end of mission" at Ft. Hood, TX in 2008. We used to smoke at the end of field problems at AT, and at the end of missions in country. I also used to indulge occasionally on camping or fishing trips. If someone offered me one on another camping trip, I might indulge, but I doubt I will ever buy another myself.

I've never tried a Marsh Wheeling, though.

For personal reasons, I never took up smoking cigarettes.  I never acquired a continuous taste for cigars.  There are few times my system lets me enjoy one.  For those who like to enjoy; enjoy!

.I've smoked them a time or two when offered, But I prefer a better quality cigar like Macanudo, Monte Cristo or H.Upmann.

I had a friend who had business outside of the US and he brought back some Cuban cigars.  He was kind enough to give me one to take home.  I could hardly wait to light it up, but I was disappointed.  I’ve had better from the D.R.

3 hours ago, South-Eye Ned said:

I had a friend who had business outside of the US and he brought back some Cuban cigars.  He was kind enough to give me one to take home.  I could hardly wait to light it up, but I was disappointed.  I’ve had better from the D.R.

We were able to get duty free Cubans in Ireland. Like you, we were disappointed in them.

31 minutes ago, DocWard said:

We were able to get duty free Cubans in Ireland. Like you, we were disappointed in them.

I tried Cubans a couple of times years ago but I was not impressed.  The shop owner (a friend) warned me that there wasn’t anything remarkable or special about them any more, with Cuba under Castro’s rule.

As for Marsh Wheeling cigars, they used to be just an average, “everyday“ cigar that I would pick up from time-to-time here and there......they were never a “cigar store” cigar, by any means, in my view.  I was surprised to see that they disappeared from general retail sale sources.  But, as noted above, I guess they can still be ordered Online.

Now, I haven’t smoked a cigar for some time.

Cat Brules

4 hours ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

.I've smoked them a time or two when offered, But I prefer a better quality cigar like Macanudo, Monte Cristo or H.Upmann.

I have never been big on cigars. I would smoke cigars offered to me and I spent quite a bit getting disappointed, but I did really enjoy a Macanudo Jade “slim” on occasion. Shortly after I decided that I really liked them, Macanudo quit making them. 

Had a few MW's I bought at matches. Not bad, not great. Kinda like Arbuckle's coffee.

JHC

11 hours ago, South-Eye Ned said:

Smoked quite a few Cubans, for the most part concur, not worth near what they cost. I did buy a box of 6 or so from a guy selling on a Mexican beach. IIRC they were Cohibas, maybe CAO. Whatever they were, they were GOOD and were only about $8 per stick.

JHC

I used to smoke Marsh Wheelings many decades ago. They came in a nice box, too. Classic American cheroot. But that was a long time back. For years I smoked a cigar per day; good ones, though. I'd buy reasonably-priced good cigars mail order from Thompson. 

I quit 15 years or so ago. They are bad for you when used regularly, even without inhaling of course (which you don't), so it just made sense.

But I still smoke a handful per year; only really good ones. Between sons and sons-in-law, I'll get a few top ones for Fathers Day; maybe my birthday. I probably smoke about ten per year, and with real good ones and at that rate, I enjoy them very much.

Ah, the costs of aging.  Ophthalmologist forbids cigar smoking, given my diagnosis with macular degeneration.

Back before such limits, I smoked Cuban Upmanns in Bermuda (1970s), and smuggled Cuban Cohiba Esplendidos (1990) later, I went to CAOs, the quality of which which started slipping around 1998.  

I really don't miss them much except on a summer evening, while listening to a Red Sox game on the back porch.

LL

Back in the 70's I used to smoke a pipe and cigars. I smoked lots of Dutch Masters. Like to chew on them when they went out too. Quit in 1978 and havn't touched one since.

1 hour ago, Texas Lizard said:

Did you move to the other?????

Texas Lizard

Yep. Nicotine lozenges. 2mg.  4 or 5 a day. 

Big time cigar and pipe man. The Marsh Wheeling cigars I saw on one of the links are machine made. No way Jose would I smoke one. I also don't think the machine made ones go back to the 1800s but I could be wrong.

Not smoking for now. Just taking a break. for awhile.

Belay that. Just had a pipe full. AHHHHH the Pleasure of it.

Archived