SASS Wire Forum

Short stroke for Taylor’s Smoke Wagon

Kid Cali

Hi All-

i recently bought two Taylor-tuned Taylor’s Smoke Wagons in .45 and I’m looking into getting a short stroke job done or doing it myself. Can this be done simply with a kit or should I find a gunsmith? If I can do it myself who sells the kit? If it’s not advisable to do it myself (I’m not a gunsmith), any advice as far as a gunsmith to do the work?

Thanks in advance!

I think there are kits for Rugers but not SAA's.  Lassiter is another 'smith for that.  Depending on the cost, you might be better off selling yours and buying new short stroked guns.

Kid, if you plan on sending your guns to a good smith plan on being without them for a while.  It's the nature of the beast, good smiths get a lot of work which means longer wait times.

To my knowledge, no one is offering a drop-in kit for either Uberti or Pietta 1873 revolvers.  Taylor's does offer a line of short stroked revolvers.  A knowledgeable smith could convert your current Smoke Wagons, but as others have already stated, you would be facing an extended wait time and there are not as many cowboy gunsmiths that do a Colt action short stroke.

I shoot a pair of Pietta short stroked pistols that were done by a very knowledgeable local cowboy gunsmith.  What I learned in the process is that it is much more involved to short stroke a Colt style action revolver than it is to short stroke a Ruger pistol.  A short stroked Colt action is also not nearly as durable as a Ruger.  Neither short stroke system (Ruger or Colt) is totally drop in and will require a skilled smith to properly time the revolver.  The Ruger system is easier and is done far more often than the Colt style action. 

The wife and I own several pair of short stroked Rugers, but I much prefer my short stroked Piettas.     

Appreciate all of the information everyone. I decided the best route is to sell the Smoke Wagons. I went ahead and ordered two 4.75" Uberti Short Stroke SASS Pros in .45LC so i'll be all set with those bad boys.

Archived