SASS Wire Forum

Slicked up .357 1873 rifle light striking, newbie help

Stormy_LaSalle

Howdy,

So long story short but I purchased a slicked up, short stroked .357 1873 rifle and it shoots/feels like absolute butter. But with CCI primers it light strikes probably 60% of the time. I really do want it to be able to shoot more than just Federal primers. With that said, I have been reading and most say to tighten in the rear tang screw all the way and then work your way up the other screws if still light striking? Basically can someone school me a bit on how those screws work? Why the rear one first? I don't want to mess anything up and curious what screws do what. I really appreciate the help.

Thanks for reading!

Most of the "slicked up" '73's prefer a diet of Federal Primers, not sure what caliber but give them a try I bet your issue will go away.

TB

7 minutes ago, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

Most of the "slicked up" '73 prefer a diet of Federal Primers, not sure what caliber but give them a try I bet your issue will go away.

TB

It is a .357 shooting .38's. Yeah I am going to order some but with all the COVID and Riots most places are sold out here... I have thousands of CCI which stinks.. But it seems reading up that most all shoot Federals.

Thanks for the reply.

Sportsmans' Warehouse up here had Federal Small Pistol Primers in stock, yesterday,  you might want to check the Mesa store or the one in Phoenix. 

TB

1 hour ago, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

Sportsmans' Warehouse up here had Federal Small Pistol Primers in stock, yesterday,  you might want to check the Mesa store or the one in Phoenix. 

TB

They have been on sale there too.  I picked up 1,000 Federal small pistol magnums yesterday I paid $23 for.

4 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Sportsmans has had primers on sales for week now.  You can only buy 1,000 at a time online with pickup at a store.  I have slowly increased

They have been on sale there too.  I picked up 1,000 Federal small pistol magnums yesterday I paid $23 for.

Damn that's cheap, especially for a retail store. I am going to give them a call now. Thanks for looking out!

Just now, Stormy_LaSalle said:

Damn that's cheap, especially for a retail store. I am going to give them a call now. Thanks for looking out!

Buy online with pickup in the store.  You may not see any on the shelf.

Stormy, go ahead and tighten up your main spring until it pops CCI's.  Then shoot it in a match.  Once the buzzer goes off it is different than sitting on the sofa playing with it.  If the increased tension bothers you at that point, then go for the Federals.  Or, go for them anyway, but as long as you have lots of the CCI's might as well use them if you can.

You could also just shoot the CCI's in your pistols if they pop them okay, but that can be a hassle.

10 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Stormy, go ahead and tighten up your main spring until it pops CCI's.  Then shoot it in a match.  Once the buzzer goes off it is different than sitting on the sofa playing with it.  If the increased tension bothers you at that point, then go for the Federals.  Or, go for them anyway, but as long as you have lots of the CCI's might as well use them if you can.

You could also just shoot the CCI's in your pistols if they pop them okay, but that can be a hassle.

So I got it out to the range this afternoon. 2 full turns of the screw and it will shoot anything now. Winchester, CCI and some factory Amscor I had. 

Thanks everyone for their help!

Federals for sure but if you can find Remingtons try them, they seem to work okay too.

Lefty Wheeler has a good article on light strikes on his website that goes beyond just tightening the main spring screws. You might find it interesting.

Wheeler Gun Works. Helpful Hints section.

Archived