SASS Wire Forum

Our society has lost Respect.

Raylan

So tired of the disrespect in society, in the media, on social media. I was taught by my father in word and deed that you treat people respectfully even if you don't feel respect for them, as the way you treated them reflected on you and the kind of man you were.

I show people respect until they show me that they don't deserve it. Even then I'm still not rude about it, unless they ask for it.

But respect, or lack of it is dependent upon the individual, not some arbitrary attribute.

One thing I learned in The Marine Corps is that if a man can and will do whats needed, his race, religion, national origin or sexual orientation doesn't matter.  If he can't or won't do whats needed, his race, religion, national origin or sexual orientation doesn't matter. :FlagAm:

5 hours ago, Raylan said:

So tired of the disrespect in society, in the media, on social media. I was taught by my father in word and deed that you treat people respectfully even if you don't feel respect for them, as the way you treated them reflected on you and the kind of man you were.

I'm just quoting you as I like what you wrote. 

Respect is no long taught.

Young people think they deserve what every they want. . .NOW!

Such a surprise when someone stands up against them and their dreams.

You can not have it.

You must earn it.

3 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Respect is no long taught.

Young people think they deserve what every they want. . .NOW!

Such a surprise when someone stands up against them and their dreams.

You can not have it.

You must earn it.

Not the way they think. They believe that you must respect them, but they don't need to respect you, no matter what.

I want to be careful about cultural differences, but I was raised in the South and Southwestern US.  As I have never lived in the north, I have visited The Detroit area and Manhattan on business for multiple years.  Southern courtesy is no longer as it was portrayed in GWTW, but there are elements remaining.  I was taught by my parents and grandparents to be respectful and courteous to strangers until they prove they do not deserve it.

3 hours ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Not the way they think. They believe that you must respect them, but they don't need to respect you, no matter what.

Guys like me and Cliff and others will give them one hell of a shock if they push us too far.  "Dissing" started as a street gang thing and spread all over in every social group.

They don’t think that they get the respect they deserve!

The respect many of them deserve is a full swing kick in the @$$!!

...or maybe in the teeth!!!

Respect, and loyalty, are never given.  They are earned, over time.  They are difficult, to earn, but can be lost in an instant.  They have to be earned every day. 

Once lost, they can never be back to 100 percent, because we will always have, in the back of our minds, that memory of why it was lost, or, not knowing why, just the memory of, for some reason, it was lost.   

Having said that, we do need to respect what things stand for, because what things stand for, is fixed, and not subject to any person we like or dislike.

We should respect the flag, for what it stands for. Just because humans can't perfectly live up to the ideas of freedom, equality, opportunity, compassion, respect, doesn't mean we should disrespect the flag that stands for these things.   

We should respect the official writings of our country, from the Mayflower Compact to the U.S. Constitution.  The words they contain were written by very imperfect humans, but the words are true, never-the-less.  They are inspired words.  They are what we all should aspire to attain, even though, as imperfect human beings, we, like as not, will never fully attain them.

We should respect the office of the President of the United States.  Whoever is in that office we need to respect, and pray for...because that person could affect our lives by what they do, or fail to do. 

We should respect those in our federal, state, and local governments.  If we disagree with them,, vote them out, or better yet, run for the office yourself.

We have miserably failed to teach our children, and grandchildren, respect.  It does NOT "take a village" to raise our children.  The "village" doesn't give a hoot what someone's else's children do, unless those children affect them in a negative way.  Turn off the t.v., put away the cell phone, put down the lap-top, and talk to your children, and grandchildren.  It is not the "village's" responsibility to raise and teach your children, it is YOURS! 

There was an article, many years back, in a news paper that asked the question: "What is wrong with the world?"  A very famous writer wrote in to the newspaper, with just two words: "I AM". 

We are not born with respect.  We have to learn it, and learn it again, on a day to day basis.  It take work, and EFFORT!

We should not stand for disrespect....and should call their hand on it, every time!  Not from the press/media, not from politicians, not from pastors, not from any "group", not from family, not from friends.   

W.K.

I think it's because television began using canned laughter in recorded shows.

Live shows depended on the audience. And even if there was an off-camera assistant and flashing sign, if something was socially outrageous or unacceptable, there would be no laughter. The joke, comedian, etc. would fall flat.

But with recorded laughter dubbed in, something that would previously have clearly fallen flat becomes funny, letting the audience at home know that it's okay -- even if it's canned laughter, it still comes across as laughing at something.

So the kid disrespecting a dad becomes funny. The worker gaining an advantage by being clever and manipulative instead of diligent and hardworking becomes funny. The neighbor inconveniencing the person next door becomes funny. And once it's something you can laugh at, the objection to it begins to break down.

Archived