SASS Wire Forum

Question re Win/Miroku 1873

Ok the gun already has a lever safety so lever must be fully depressed before it will fire.....

so why did they add another safety to the FP extension?

Does the smaller pin inside make for more reliable ignition or what ??????

Seems like a problem waiting to happen!?

I'm still learning details (I will not modify anything until I think I understand all of it!). And mine is about to head out on a stage to me. And I do plan to slick it myself.

So what have I figured out as far as this safety? I think the firing pin extension safety is either to prevent an OBD (Out of Battery Discharge) in certain situations such as a stuck cartridge or a slam fire under race (CAS) situations for fast shooters. Even if not one of those two, it clearly has a purpose. Consider my thoughts a starting point.

I think whatever the reason is, it has to do with the weight of the firing pin and inertia.

The firing pin safety failed on my 73 about my second match with it. I welded it up and it works fine. It's a rebounding hammer and the fp safety is supposed to stop an ad if you bump the hammer with a round in the chamber.

The firing pin safety is to hopefully stop a slam fire out of battery event. I am sure you have seen someone try slamming their lever closed when the round does not go all the way in. Well when you do that the firing pin can hit the primer and set the round off out of battery. With the Miroku firing pin safety the firing pin will not go forward without the trigger being pulled. It is a wonderful thing but some don't like it because it may break. And that is the rest of the story!

Archived