SASS Wire Forum

80% Lower Build

Yul Lose

I’ve never done a lot of metal work but lately have been interested in the 80% AR lower and wonder how difficult the final machining and build out really is. I’ve seen a couple of fixtures and bit sets on Pinterest  that say you can use a router for the machining. Have any of you done one of these and how did it come out? Any tips on what not to do or do to make it turn out better? Aluminum or the hi tech polymer?

It’s not hard.  You have to mill a pocket and drill 3 holes.  A billet lower or a fixture make it easier.   The trick is being able to clamp it in the mill.  You don’t need a fixture for a billet as they are more square making it easier to clamp in a vice.  For forged lowers it’s harder to clamp as many of the surfaces are not flat. 

I would not attempt it without a mill.  You could use a router, but it won’t be nearly as nice as one done on a mill. 

A mill is the way to go, They say you can use a drill press, but it comes out very ugly unless you have a VERY well made drill press with VERY good measurement scales on it. Have only seen videos of using a router.

As a "whatever it takes" shop rat, I know I could do it on a drill press. The worse (sloppy) the tool is, the more time will be involved in setup. It can be done with sufficient careful setup. It could even be done with a hand drill, but if the two sides of a hole are not sufficiently in line you made a paperweight.

I really would prefer a mill, a good machinists vice, dial indicators, and shims as required to really get the through holes right.

For the internal cleanup of the lower, a drill press would be fine if a bit ugly compared to a cutterhead on a mill. Just make sure when you hog out the material you cut out enough so the parts fit and work, but not so much that you have created a full-auto lower. A fresh carbide-tipped router bit and a jig could clear the inside nicely.  And verify the hole count before drilling, there is one extra hole you do not want to drill and it is on some DIY plans. That hole also constitutes a full-auto lower.

I've seen them done with the router/ jig kit that came with the bits. It looked excellent.

Yul,

I have seen a few that were done with a router.  From what I understand, take your time and work slow with the router.  I would be glad to put you in touch with a guy that's done it before if you want.  Feel free to send me a pm and we can chat.  I'm sure with your skill, you won't have an issue.

Red Wolf

5 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Yul,

I have seen a few that were done with a router.  From what I understand, take your time and work slow with the router.  I would be glad to put you in touch with a guy that's done it before if you want.  Feel free to send me a pm and we can chat.  I'm sure with your skill, you won't have an issue.

Red Wolf

PM sent.

I did a couple of lowers from 80% arms a few years ago. I used a drill press and my Porterfield router.

It's not hard and they've improved their jig a whole bunch since I did mine.

Archived