SASS Wire Forum

.22/Main Match/Large Rifle the same.

How many different ways could you put together a battery of three rifles, a .22, a main match rifle, and "rifle caliber" rifle where they are all essentially the same gun, just in different calibers?

I can only think of two possibilities.

Winchester 73 in .22 and a main match caliber working with a Winchester 76.

Colt Lightning in all three types of chamberings.

I honestly can't think of any other examples, but there must be other possibilities.

what about marlins ? thinkin i could get close - i have the 22 and main match in 38 [had a 45 i sold] , they make a rifle caliber i think in something similar , 

15 hours ago, Sagebrush Burns, SASS # 14226 said:

Winchester M-94, 30-30; M-94, 45 Colt; M-9422, 22LR.

Ah, that's a good idea.  Although, to me the 9422 seems more like a 92 than a 94.   So it could be paired with a 92 and an 86.

I guess it could go either way.  

15 hours ago, watab kid said:

what about marlins ? thinkin i could get close - i have the 22 and main match in 38 [had a 45 i sold] , they make a rifle caliber i think in something similar , 

Not an expert on Marlins, but I suppose it'd be "close enough" to qualify for the "idea."

Okay, so there are some options to consider.   I seem to recall that Uberti also made a 66 in .22RF once upon a time, so there's another possibility along with main match 66 and a 76.

So why was a wondering about this?  Mostly just idle curiosity, and the idea that it would be interesting to see how similar and different going from small to medium to big calibers when the only real change is the calibers, not the guns themselves.  

Archived