SASS Wire Forum

Bye-Bye NASCAR

Don’t believe I ever watched a NACAR race. Back in my Arizona days I had to be at Phoenix International Raceway to do two way radio repairs when they had the big races and I guess that’s what turned me off of car racing.

Daddy turned me off....he watches and records each race. Since 1990 whatever. He has boxes of VHS tapes. You know TV ruined NASCAR as it has done so much of stuff.  I remember as a kid listening on the radio, folks like Eli Gold, Bristol night races in the fall by a fire barrel. Tv took away from good radio announcing and put blow hards like Darryl Waltrip for us to endure.

My daddy has even missed several of one of my kids birthdays because of birthday parties interfering the Daytona 500. My son asks him every time and comes back and my daddy’s honest. He tells him straight up he can’t come, he’s gotta race to watch. Honestly what an asshole way to treat your grandkid, who just turned 9 in February ( yeah he missed this birthday party, and the race was rained out, so I guess he had to listen to the knuckleheads talk about the weather). He lives 3 miles away. He has DVR. We don’t have satellite or antenna tv here, even if I did I wouldn’t put a race on. 

I’ve made the comment before to my mom it’s plain to see a bunch of jack asses he’s never met, driving in circles  all day mean more to him than us. And get this, he’s been to one race in his life.

Ive been to one. A customer way back was head of motor sports marketing ( for all racing disciplines) for a major auto manufacturer. If got penthouse, pit passes, met drivers, went into car haulers. All I could stand was about half of it. It was awful to watch. We left. The pits and garages were cool.

I hate NASCAR

Just now, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

You might find time to spend with your family.  You could find out that they are pretty nice people.

I do. It was a rhetorical question.

;)

NASCAR has changed too much in silly stupid rules for me in the last years. Now they are trying to be politically correct in every way. I've noticed a loss of spectators in the stands over the years and now I suspect they will go belly up due to lack of interest in this once grand old sport that's morphed itself into boredom with stages and points. 

All we ever wanted was to watch  a good competitive race but that has changed to making every car absolutely equal in every way. I miss the days when Pontiac rivaled Oldsmobile and Chevy , Ford., Plymouth and Dodge. When body styles made a difference and they were truly STOCK CARS! 

sadly I've gone from a total enthusiast to a casual observer   Actually I can do without it anymore

58 minutes ago, Hendo said:

NASCAR ain't nothing like it used to be....

image.jpeg.8ed5675f327e748a23dc50f7214c1124.jpeg

Quick, name the last guy to do time for doing what started NASCAR.

67 Days until the Daytona 500 – The NASCAR Historian

HENDO:

I'm gonna take a guess (without really knowing) that it is Jr. Johnson

..........Widder

Well, moonshining (homemade liquor) became very profitable when “Prohibition” was enacted about 1920 and wasn’t repealed for 10+ years.  Moonshine was illegal because (among other reasons) no federal taxes or license fees were paid to the Government.  The moonshiners built up cars with big engines to haul booze and still escape from and evade Federal agents if they were being chased.

I don't know WHO involved in moonshining, may have decided to race their friends with their built-up liquor rigs and later became instrumental in starting what later became NASCAR.

Cat Brules

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

HENDO:

I'm gonna take a guess (without really knowing) that it is Jr. Johnson

..........Widder

Jr. was probably the most famous after having that movie made about him with Beau Bridges, but the correct answer would be Buddy Arrington.

Arrington was also the last racer to field a Mopar back in the day.

I too used to watch or DVR every Cup race. Truck and Xfinity not so much. But starting a couple years ago I didn't mind so much missing a race now and then, to this year where I've watched parts of a coupe races and missed the rest.  Now with the latest round of virtue signalling I'm pretty much done. I don't watch sports to be lectured, I watch it for entertainment.  I have a couple drivers I hope do well, so will likely follow them on NASCAR.com but watching the live races? Not so much.

5 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Well, moonshining (homemade liquor) became very profitable when “Prohibition” was enacted about 1920 and wasn’t repealed for 10+ years.  Moonshine was illegal because (among other reasons) no federal taxes or license fees were paid to the Government.  The moonshiners built up cars with big engines to haul booze and still escape from and evade Federal agents if they were being chased.

I don't know WHO involved in moonshining, may have decided to race their friends with their built-up liquor rigs and later became instrumental in starting what later became NASCAR.

Cat Brules

My Granddad, rest his soul, was a moonshiner and a moonrunner.

He and his brother Daine had matching black Plymouths.

Granddad had magic in his hands -- he could do more with a wore out pair of slip joint pliers and a rounded screwdriver than I can with a full toolbox -- he had those Plymouths tuned like a Stradivarius: if one wrinkled a fender on a run, they'd ease the other up against a stump to wrinkle its fender as well -- one was a hauler, one was a chase car -- he was known as Old Devil Maxwell, for he drove as if the Devil himself was after him!

9 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Sports in general.....

Is there no escape on Saturday or Sunday?

Cowboy shooting on Saturday and then some other kind of shooting on Sunday like Trap, Skeet, target shooting, etc etc.

Dont worry about NASCAR - the green new deal will put them out of business anyway.  

Once the left mandates gluten free vegan carbon neutral electric engines, a 12 year old kid wearing a pair of used Tevas and an 'I cant Breathe' t-shirt will be able to out-run most race cars.

Its a Brave New World

NASCAR died when they no longer used stock cars. I'd like to see them race with the current lineup of cars, not cars that don't even exist. 

They didn't start with V-8 cars, I know V-8's sound great. The new stock cars have V-6 engines or 4 bangers. It'd be pretty fun to watch a 200 mph Taurus or Malibu running a 6 cylinder. 

NASCAR has been shooting themselves in the foot for a LLLOOONNNGGG time. The grandstands were only a quarter full at Cup races before the virus. The trucks and Xfinity stands were basically empty. Now they've gone and alienated what was left of their fan base in the South. This move may temporarily increase tv viewership, but that will be very short lived.

I also wonder if it is all flags flown by the CSA or just the battle flag that is banned at the tracks. Most people wouldn't know what the other flags even look like. I also wonder how on Earth are they going to enforce this new policy. I guess we'll find out at Talledega. The networks have gone out of their way to NOT show the NRA logo  or mention the NRA when a race is sponsored by the NRA and the infield has a giant NRA painted on it. I have to imagine that they will do the same when someone raises a battle flag during the race. Political correctness, reverse racism and double standards are the course of the year so far. It doesn't matter what the sport is or if it's pro or amateur. 

This is a bad move for NASCAR and will not generate new fans. Yep, NASCAR keeps shooting but this time, they've raised their sights.

When I traveled with the Winston infield show, the stands were full to overflowing, the infields were heavily populated by raucous, outrageous, enthusiastic fans who traveled hundreds and even thousands of miles to spend a long weekend partying, camping, grilling, and watching racing!!

Our last show was at Atlanta for the last race of the season.  It was also the last event where Winston was the corporate sponsor for NASCAR, although that has little to do with the current situation, EXCEPT that Winston new how to promote and produce an event better than anybody before or since and NASCAR didn’t learn a damned thing from that association!!

It rained and was cold and blustery the whole weekend, but the stands and the infield were filled.  It actually snowed during our show on Saturday night and we STILL had thousands out there to cheer and party!!

After other corporate sponsors took over, the spectators began to dwindle, infield parties and camping slowly faded at most tracks, it became harder to get sponsorship for racing teams and even events, and folks stayed home instead of traveling to the race tracks.

NASCAR stopped going to smaller, historic venues, trying to spread their fan base, resulting in the alienation of life long, sometimes third generation fans!  They’ve tried all sorts of gimmicks and silly rule changes, attempting to mainstream a sport that had enjoyed steady growth while catering to a segment of the public that, while somewhat limited in size, welcomed anyone and everyone to join in the fun!

It ain’t working!!  People who went to the races didn’t like a lot of the pointless changes.  New spectators stayed away in droves and the fan base followed suit!  The fading popularity and poor to terrible choices by NASCAR in selection of media association have made it worse.  They went from potential sponsors standing in line to get their name and products on team cars and events to having to beg for sponsors and offering exposure at significant reductions in costs. 

They ain’t making money like they used to, if they are at all!!

They need to look at their past to see how to manage their future!

I watched a nascar race for about 5 minutes one time. Cars driving around in a big circle. Woo boy, how entertaining. I thought I'd watch nascar more if they had a figure 8 track...

Political correctness and nascar however do not mix.

Bubba Wallace convinces NASCAR to get rid of the Confederate Flag because to him it is racist (Wallace is black), yet he has decided to have his car sponsoring Black Lives Matter. Personally I find that driving a B.L.M. race car at a NASCAR event is just as racist to me as the Confederate flag is to him, it's just my opinion of course and I never liked NASCAR after they changed all the rules. I wouldn't be surprised if he kneeled during the National Anthem as well. This will probably be the beginning of the end for NASCAR.  

They just alienated 99% of their fans! Stupid move! Do they think BLM is gonna support them now? 

I went to a race in Charleston about 40 years ago.  The first few laps were interesting as were the last couple.  Everything in between was boring.  It's just not my cup of tea. 

BS

I've always been a fan of most all sports, college football being number one but when the Covid 19  epidemic came along and put sports to a halt I've discovered I can actually live without them and all the political correct antics they perform. I've already permanently crossed off the NBA,  possibly the NFL and even considering MLB even though I love that sport so much. I think I may go back to just local sports for my entertainment fix like dirt track racing and amateur baseball games.  

I hate to say it but maybe it's time for NASCAR to recycle the bleachers and shorten the races.  

Archived